Reading an existing file into a fortran code

In summary, the person is having trouble opening an existing file for input while programming in fortran 90/95. They have written the code without errors, but the file cannot be opened at compilation time. They are wondering if there is a specific location the file needs to be stored in for the program to recognize and read from it. They have tried showing the file path but it did not work. They are seeking help and would like to see a few lines of code where the file is being opened. Suggestions were given, such as checking for blank spaces in the file name and making sure the executable and input files are in the same directory. They were also advised to open the executable through a command prompt instead of double clicking on it.
angelfaz
I am programming in fortran 90/95 and i have a problem opening an existing file for input. I have written the code without any errors, but at compilation time, the file to be read cannot open. It is as if the program does not know the location for the file. I would like to know if there is a specific location in which the file has to be stored in order for the program to recognise and read from it.
I have tried to show the path to the file but it is not working. It is part of my project work and i will very much appreciate any help. Thank you

Technology news on Phys.org
I would like to see a few lines of code where you try to open the file.

There may be a couple of things going on.

First, I would start by making sure the input file name does not contain any blank spaces.

Second, I would make sure that both the executable and the input files are in the same directory.

Then, I wouldn't just double click on the executable; instead, I would open a command prompt, change directories to where the executable is and type the name at the prompt.

Related to Reading an existing file into a fortran code

1. How do I read an existing file into a Fortran code?

To read an existing file into a Fortran code, you can use the OPEN statement to open the file, and then use the READ statement to read the data from the file into your program.

2. What format should the existing file be in for Fortran to read it?

The existing file should be in a format that is compatible with Fortran's READ statement. This can include formatted, unformatted, or binary data. You can specify the format of the file in the OPEN statement.

3. How do I specify the location of the file to be read in my Fortran code?

You can specify the location of the file to be read in the OPEN statement by using the FILE keyword and providing the file path and name.

4. Can I read multiple files into my Fortran code simultaneously?

Yes, you can read multiple files into your Fortran code by using multiple OPEN statements and specifying the file paths and names for each file.

5. What happens if the file I am trying to read does not exist?

If the file does not exist, the OPEN statement will throw an error and the program will terminate. It is important to check for the existence of the file before attempting to read it in your code.