Start a Griffiths Electrodynamics Reading Group

• Thread starter bjnartowt
  • Start date
In summary, a suggestion was made to create a PhysicsForums group or topic dedicated to a single textbook, such as "Griffiths Electrodynamics". This would serve as both a popular discussion platform and an archive for past struggles with the material. A forum search for "Griffiths" yielded 500 results over the last 21 months. Another member mentioned using the same approach for studying GR using Hartle's text and asked for feedback on this idea.
bjnartowt
Hey everyone, I was thinking that a PhysicsForums group or topic "thing" devoted entirely to a single textbook would be popular. For instance: as I take "Electromagnetic Theory" with Griffiths "Electrodynamics" (Spring 2010, U-Minnesota Duluth), we could have a "Griffiths Electrodynamics" (group or topic "thing") existing. It would be a nice archive, too, of stuff people have, in the past, struggled with.

Should we? Could we? How do we? Thoughts? Does it already exist, and I need only be pointed to the link?

Physics news on Phys.org
bjnartowt said:
… It would be a nice archive, too, of stuff people have, in the past, struggled with.

Hey bjnartowt! :wink:

Just do a forum search for "Griffiths" …

you'll get 500 hits over the last 21 months. :smile:

Hi bjnartowt,

I know exactly what you mean and think it would be great as well but I've already done Griffiths "Electrodynamics". I like the approach of a topic devoted entirely to a single textbook. I'm currently studying GR using Hartle's text. This would be my choice for such an approach.

Does this appeal to you or anyone else who reads this? Please let me know.

1. What is the purpose of starting a Griffiths Electrodynamics Reading Group?

The purpose of starting a Griffiths Electrodynamics Reading Group is to gather a group of individuals who are interested in studying and discussing the concepts and theories presented in the textbook "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths. This group can provide a supportive and engaging environment for learning and understanding the material.

2. Who can join the Griffiths Electrodynamics Reading Group?

Anyone who is interested in learning and discussing electromagnetism and has access to the textbook "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths can join the group. This can include students, researchers, and professionals in the field of physics and related areas.

3. Is there a specific format for the Griffiths Electrodynamics Reading Group?

The format of the group can vary depending on the preferences of the members. It can involve weekly or bi-weekly meetings, online discussions, or a combination of both. The group can also decide on the pace of reading and the topics to be covered in each session.

4. How can I prepare for the Griffiths Electrodynamics Reading Group?

To prepare for the group, it is recommended to have a basic understanding of electromagnetism and to have read the assigned chapters beforehand. It may also be helpful to come up with questions or topics for discussion to contribute to the group's learning.

5. Can I join the Griffiths Electrodynamics Reading Group if I have not read the textbook before?

Yes, you can still join the group even if you have not read the textbook before. However, it is recommended to have access to the textbook and to read the assigned chapters before each session to fully participate in the discussions and activities.