(Real Analysis) Find sets E\F and f(E)\f(F)

In summary, the conversation is about understanding a problem (#11) in Real Analysis and finding f(E\F) using the given information. The person has provided a partial answer and is struggling to understand the concept of f(E) and f(F). They are using the textbook "Real Analysis" by Bartle and Sherbert and seeking help from forums and online sources. The expert explains that f(E) is a subset of the codomain of f and helps clarify the concept.
phillyolly

Homework Statement

The problem #11.

The Attempt at a Solution

My partial answer is attached. There, I found E\F. I still don't understand what is f(E) and f(F) and how to derive them from E and F.

Attachments

• pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 415
  • IMG_0143.jpg
    IMG_0143.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 439
Physics news on Phys.org
From #10 we know that f(E) = f(F). Thus, f(E)\f(F) = {} = [tex] \emptyset. [/tex] Can you get the rest?

f(E) = {f(x) | x ∈ E}

Does that make sense?

Raskolnikov said:
From #10 we know that f(E) = f(F). Thus, f(E)\f(F) = {} = [tex] \emptyset. [/tex] Can you get the rest?

So f(E\F) is (-1=<x<0), which is NOT a subset of an empty set.
Correct??

Not quite...almost there.

E\F = { -1 =< x < 0 }, not f(E\F). Find f(E\F). The final step's still the same and obvious.

My inability to understand is killing me. I am using this forum non-stop for the last 12 hours for Real Analysis questions. No progress on my part what so ever.

How are you going about teaching this to yourself? Which textbook are you using? Any other resources?

I only have one textbook, which is Real Analysis by Bartle and Sherbert. I've read the chapter many times and continue reading it. Thanks to your, Raskolnikov, comments, I have made some progress, but still very weak.
I also have another online book. I haven't found any helpful online sources for dummies on Real Analysis.

E is a subset of the domain of the function f. f(E) is a subset of the codomain of f. It's the set that f maps elements of E onto.

If y is an element of f(E), then there's some x in E such that f(x)=y.

1. What is the definition of (Real Analysis) Find sets E\F and f(E)\f(F)?

(Real Analysis) Find sets E\F and f(E)\f(F) is a mathematical concept that involves finding the difference between two sets, E and F, and the quotient of the images of these sets under a given function, f.

2. How do you find the sets E\F and f(E)\f(F)?

To find the sets E\F and f(E)\f(F), you first need to determine the elements that are present in E but not in F. These elements will make up the set E\F. Then, you need to apply the function f to the elements of E and the elements of F. The resulting sets will be f(E) and f(F). Finally, you can find the quotient by dividing f(E) by f(F).

3. What is the significance of finding sets E\F and f(E)\f(F)?

Finding sets E\F and f(E)\f(F) is important in real analysis because it helps us understand how a function maps elements from one set to another. It also allows us to compare and contrast the elements in two different sets and see how they are related.

4. Are there any special cases to consider when finding sets E\F and f(E)\f(F)?

Yes, there are a few special cases to consider when finding sets E\F and f(E)\f(F). One important case is when the sets E and F are equal, in which case the difference E\F will be an empty set. Additionally, if the function f is not defined for certain elements in either E or F, then those elements will not be included in the resulting sets f(E) and f(F).

5. How can the concept of finding sets E\F and f(E)\f(F) be applied in real-world situations?

The concept of finding sets E\F and f(E)\f(F) can be applied in various real-world situations. For example, in economics, this concept can help determine the price difference between two markets. In statistics, it can be used to compare the distribution of data in two different samples. In computer science, it can be utilized to analyze the efficiency of algorithms. Overall, this concept has many practical applications in fields that involve data analysis and comparison.