1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Real Analysis Limits

1. Oct 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that if f: R->R is an even function, then lim x->0 f(x)=L if and only if lim x->0+ f(x)=L.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So far I have:

If f is an even function f(x)=f(-x) for x in domain of f.

Then I am trying to apply the limit definitions, but am unsure of how to write the proof from here.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Write down the definition of lim x->0+ f(x)=L. Now change x to -x. Doesn't it look like the definition of lim x->0- f(x)=L once you use that f is even?

4. Oct 24, 2012 #3
    So lim x->0+ f(x)=L implies there exists a real number L s.t. epsilon>0 there exists delta>0 s.t. lf(x)-Ll<epsilon provided 0<x-a<delta.

Then lim x->0+ f(-x)=L implies that there exists a real number L s.t. epsilon>0 there exists delta>0 s.t. lf(-x)-Ll<epsilon provided 0<x-a<delta.

I have the definitions, but I don't understand the last part of your comment, can you clarify?

5. Oct 24, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

'a' in your problem is 0. 0<x<delta, is the same as -delta<-x<0. What does the definition of lim x->0- f(x)=L look like?

6. Oct 24, 2012 #5
    lim x->0- f(x)=L implies that there exists a real number L s.t. epsilon>0 there exists delta>0 s.t. lf(x)-Ll<epsilon provided 0<a-x<delta.

I'm am getting confused with all these definitions though, can you help me organize the argument using the definitions?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook