How do I solve for a_3 in a complex Fourier series?

In summary, Tan Tom is trying to solve for a_3, which consists of a real and imaginary part. He has found the sum but needs help with solving for the a_3.
Tan Thom
Good morning,

I am working on a problem where I am finding the 4th Coefficient in a sample of 4 discrete time Fourier Series coefficients. I got the sum but now I have to solve for a_3 which consists of a real and imaginary part. Any assitance on how to solve for the a_3? Thank you.

$a_k = \{3, 1-2j, -1, ?\}$

Step 1: $(1-2j)e^{j*.5\pi*n} +a_3 e ^ {-(j*.5\pi*n)} + 3 + (-1)^{n+1} $

Step 2: $[(1-2j)(\cos \frac\pi2 n + j \sin \frac\pi2n) + a_3 (\cos \frac\pi2n-j \sin \frac\pi2n)]$

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Tan Tom said:
Good morning,

I am working on a problem where I am finding the 4th Coefficient in a sample of 4 discrete time Fourier Series coefficients. I got the sum but now I have to solve for a_3 which consists of a real and imaginary part. Any assitance on how to solve for the a_3? Thank you.

$a_k = \{3, 1-2j, -1, ?\}$

Step 1: $(1-2j)e^{j*.5\pi*n} +a_3 e ^ {-(j*.5\pi*n)} + 3 + (-1)^{n+1} $

Step 2: $[(1-2j)(\cos \frac\pi2 n + j \sin \frac\pi2n) + a_3 (\cos \frac\pi2n-j \sin \frac\pi2n)]$

Hi Tan Tom, welcome to MHB! ;)

If I understand correctly, you have
$$(1-2j)e^{j\frac\pi 2 n} +a_3 e ^ {-(j\frac\pi 2n)} + 3 + (-1)^{n+1}=sum$$
for some known $sum$.

We can rewrite it as:
$$a_3 e ^ {-(j\frac\pi 2 n)}=sum-(1-2j)e^{j\frac \pi 2n} - 3 - (-1)^{n+1}\\
a_3 =\big[sum-(1-2j)e^{j\frac \pi 2n} - 3 - (-1)^{n+1}\big]e ^ {j\frac\pi 2 n}$$
Is that what you're looking for, or am I misunderstanding something?

Before you can "solve" you have to have an equation! What is that supposed to be equal to? Klaas van Aarsen is assuming it is to be equal to some number he is calling "sum". Is that correct?

1. What are real numbers?

Real numbers are numbers that can be represented on a number line and include all rational and irrational numbers. They are called "real" because they represent quantities in the real world.

2. What are imaginary numbers?

Imaginary numbers are numbers that cannot be represented on a number line and include the square root of negative numbers. They are denoted by the letter "i" and are used to solve complex equations.

3. How are real and imaginary numbers related?

Real and imaginary numbers are related through the complex number system, where a complex number is made up of a real part and an imaginary part. They are used in various fields of mathematics and science, such as in electrical engineering and quantum mechanics.

4. Can real and imaginary numbers be added or subtracted?

Yes, real and imaginary numbers can be added or subtracted using the rules of complex numbers. The real parts are added or subtracted separately from the imaginary parts. For example, (3 + 2i) + (5 + 4i) = (3 + 5) + (2i + 4i) = 8 + 6i.

5. How are real and imaginary numbers represented in the complex plane?

Real numbers are represented on the horizontal axis of the complex plane, while imaginary numbers are represented on the vertical axis. The intersection of these two axes represents the origin of the complex plane, and any point on the plane can be represented by a combination of a real and imaginary number.