Real power not the only useful form of electrical power?

In summary, in a battery-powered system, the voltage difference that remains just after the "dam has been broken" by the closing of the electrical circuit is what keeps the device running. The growth of the magnetic field depends on the coil properties and the flow of charges in that coil. If current and voltage were 90 degrees out of phase of each other, no power would be transmitted through the wire, but there may still be signficant reactive power. There would still be a flow of charges, so there would still be a changing magnetic field, though it would have to flip signs. Does the reactive power consume true power? No. Reactive power, not true power
kmarinas86
"Real power" not the only useful form of electrical power?

Reactive power has been associated with "imaginary current" and "magnetizing power". From my understanding, this power would tend to move at right angles to the flow electrical charges. In a system that is powered by a battery, continued operation depends on the voltage difference that remaining just after the "dam has been broken" by the closing of the electrical circuit. The growth of the magnetic field depends on the coil properties and the flow of charges in that coil. If current and voltage were 90 degrees out of phase of each other, no power would be transmitted through the wire, but there may still be signficant reactive power. There would still be a flow of charges, so there would still be a changing magnetic field, though it would have to flip signs. Does the reactive power consume true power? If so, you would expect reactive power to increase in great proportion to the true power. But there are obviously many other variables. I believe there are systems are meant to run off a changing magnetic field. The changing magnetic field is due to a variable reactive power, right? Does a varying "reactive power" mathematically require "real power"? In other words, can we have a changing magnetic field when power factor is 0? Is it the case that battery powered devices deplete according only to the "real power" and that how they are depleted has nothing to do with the "reactive power" that may exist within the same circuit?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Batteries are DC. They don't have reactive power. Reactive power is what you get when the amperage leads/lags the voltage.

Anyway, in real life situations, I think reactive power and real power happen together.

russ_watters said:
Batteries are DC. They don't have reactive power. Reactive power is what you get when the amperage leads/lags the voltage.

But if I add an inductor to a circuit, then I will have reactive power. This will have an effect of slowing the current fluctuations, in exchange for reactive power. The thing is that the real power is what the drains the batteries, right? So what happens if the reactive power is more than the real power?

Anyway, in real life situations, I think reactive power and real power happen together.

I agree.

kmarinas86 said:
Does the reactive power consume true power?

No. Reactive power, not true power, is consumed and then returned to the source by the expanding then collapsing field (in either the magnetic or electrostatic field).

In your example if the voltage and current were out of phase by 90 electrical degrees, then no true power would be consumed by the load.

CS

stewartcs said:
No. Reactive power, not true power, is consumed and then returned to the source by the expanding then collapsing field (in either the magnetic or electrostatic field).

But this magnetic field is changing. This can produce a magnetomotive force which can cause a magnet to turn. Also, some of the energy can be lost in the form of eddy currents, which also produces a counter emf. Whatever the case, the counter emf will be sent back to the source right? But wouldn't there be traces of this power left? For example, the magnet (as well as the medium containing the eddy currents) may be in a different position (favorable or unfavorable). Yet do you mean that ALL of the power would be returned? How many times could this repeated without depleting the source? It seems that if we want to draw minimal current and maximize reactive power, we would use a long wire since reactive power can be integrated (summed) over the length of the wire while the true power is not integrated (summed) over the length of the wire, no?

stewartcs said:
In your example if the voltage and current were out of phase by 90 electrical degrees, then no true power would be consumed by the load.

CS

Would it be the case then that if I had batteries in this circuit that their energy content overall would not be affected by the utilization of reactive power?

kmarinas86 said:
But this magnetic field is changing. This can produce a magnetomotive force which can cause a magnet to turn. Also, some of the energy can be lost in the form of eddy currents, which also produces a counter emf. Whatever the case, the counter emf will be sent back to the source right? But wouldn't there be traces of this power left? For example, the magnet (as well as the medium containing the eddy currents) may be in a different position (favorable or unfavorable). Yet do you mean that ALL of the power would be returned? How many times could this repeated without depleting the source? It seems that if we want to draw minimal current and maximize reactive power, we would use a long wire since reactive power can be integrated (summed) over the length of the wire while the true power is not integrated (summed) over the length of the wire, no?

Would it be the case then that if I had batteries in this circuit that their energy content overall would not be affected by the utilization of reactive power?

The term reactive power has a specific meaning in industry as mentioned previously. It is normally only used in AC systems. The reactive power is temporarily stored in the magnetic field then returned to the source so no true power is lost. Of course in real life, some joule heating occurs in the conductors and a negligible amount of power is lost. But the definition of reactive power doesn't include that little fact (or least I don't think it does).

Here is a little more reading on the subject.

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_2/chpt_11/1.html

Hope that helps.

CS

kmarinas86 said:
But if I add an inductor to a circuit, then I will have reactive power. This will have an effect of slowing the current fluctuations, in exchange for reactive power.
Once it reaches steady state (a few miliseconds), there are no current fluctuations: it is DC. So...
The thing is that the real power is what the drains the batteries, right? So what happens if the reactive power is more than the real power?
There is no reactive power drawn from batteries.

russ_watters said:
Once it reaches steady state (a few miliseconds), there are no current fluctuations: it is DC. So... There is no reactive power drawn from batteries.

Yes. What I have though is a simple permanent magnet motor. When rotor rotates to a certain angle, the circuit is cut, creating a back spike that is over 200 volts (reduced L/R time constant). Since the time constant goes down, the resistance increases as the current increases (requiring voltages to increase), thus the huge AC voltages and currents. This produces much joule heating (although spread throughout a very large coil).

stewartcs said:
The term reactive power has a specific meaning in industry as mentioned previously. It is normally only used in AC systems. The reactive power is temporarily stored in the magnetic field then returned to the source so no true power is lost. Of course in real life, some joule heating occurs in the conductors and a negligible amount of power is lost. But the definition of reactive power doesn't include that little fact (or least I don't think it does).

Here is a little more reading on the subject.

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_2/chpt_11/1.html

Hope that helps.

CS

Is there direct relationship between the reactive power and the energy of the magnetic field? Say, if you double the reactive power, you double rate change of the magnetic field energy?

I have another question to ask. Knowing that when power factor is less than 0.5, the reactive power is greater than the true power, how much heat can be produced by an inductive DC circuit (whose charge source is a single AA battery) where 50% or more of the power is dissipated by backspikes caused by sudden breaks in the circuit?

Last edited:
kmarinas86 said:
Is there direct relationship between the reactive power and the energy of the magnetic field? Say, if you double the reactive power, you double rate change of the magnetic field energy?

The energy stored in the inductor is equal to the amount of work done by the source to establish the current in the inductor.

Mathematically stated as

[tex] W = L \int_0^I i \cdot di = \frac{LI^2}{2}[/tex]

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Here is a link with more information on the energy in the magnetic field: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/electric/engfie.html#c1

CS

Last edited:
stewartcs said:
The energy stored in the inductor is equal to the amount of work done by the source to establish the current in the inductor.

Mathematically stated as

[tex] W = L \int_0^I i \cdot di = \frac{LI^2}{2}[/tex]

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Here is a link with more information on the energy in the magnetic field: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/electric/engfie.html#c1

CS

Oh good idea!

Now, I know that the reactive power is [itex]Q=I^2 X[/itex]. I would divided by sides by reactance [itex]X[/itex] so [itex]\frac{Q}{X}=I^2[/itex]. Then I plug this into get:

[tex]W = L \int_0^I i \cdot di = \frac{LQ}{2X}[/tex]

Inductive reactance [itex]X[/itex] is [itex]L[/itex] times [itex]2 pi f[/itex], so:

[tex]W = L \int_0^I i \cdot di = \frac{Q}{4 pi f}[/tex]

Therefore it appears that is it not just the reactive power that determine the energy stored in the magnetic field but also the length of each period. During each period (assuming it is not complex), the reactive power would be directly proportional to the rate change in the magnetic field energy.

1. What is the difference between real power and useful power?

Real power is the actual amount of power consumed by a device or system, while useful power is the portion of real power that is effectively used to perform useful work.

2. Why is real power not the only useful form of electrical power?

Real power, also known as active power, is only one aspect of electrical power. There are also reactive power and apparent power, which are important for maintaining the stability and reliability of the electrical grid.

3. How does reactive power affect the electrical system?

Reactive power is used to maintain the voltage levels in an electrical system. It is necessary for the proper functioning of motors, transformers, and other inductive and capacitive loads. Without reactive power, the system may experience voltage fluctuations and potential equipment damage.

4. Can reactive power be converted into real power?

Yes, reactive power can be converted into real power through the use of devices called capacitors and inductors. These devices store reactive power and release it when needed, helping to balance the overall power consumption of the system.

5. How can the use of reactive power be optimized?

The use of reactive power can be optimized through the proper design and placement of capacitors and inductors in the electrical system. This can improve the system's efficiency and reduce energy losses, resulting in cost savings for both the utility company and the consumer.