Real-time PC performance monitoring software with a monitoring window / GUI

In summary: Vanadium 50 has a good point. If you have defragged in the past month or your hard drive is less than 10% full, then disk space could be the problem. Beyond that, he recommends disabling unnecessary services. CleamMem Mini Monitor is a free utility that can help you determine the percentage of memory in use and clean up unnecessary files.
berkeman
Mentor
I'm frustrated with several of my PCs' performance. The issue may be with their Internet connections, or with other processing issues. Is there some software package that I can run to give me a GUI window showing Internet bandwidth, memory usage, etc, to help me debug the sometimes slow response times of my PCs and laptops? I've tried using the standard Windows Cntrl-Alt-Delete performance monitors, but they are not showing me anything useful. My PC or laptop can be totally unresponsive after startup, and the Windows process monitors show nothing above 5% CPU utilization. Right.

For example, during the startup/wakeup of most PCs,their response to clicks to open programs and browsers is very much delayed. I would like to know why. What processes are taking my PC out after startup? It would be very helpful to see in real time what the heck my PC is doing, so I could decide how to optimize it... Thanks!

Computer science news on Phys.org
Iarsn Taskinfo 10

Not terribly expensive and a really excellent package

Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
I'm frustrated with several of my PCs' performance. The issue may be with their Internet connections, or with other processing issues. Is there some software package that I can run to give me a GUI window showing Internet bandwidth, memory usage, etc, to help me debug the sometimes slow response times of my PCs and laptops? I've tried using the standard Windows Cntrl-Alt-Delete performance monitors, but they are not showing me anything useful. My PC or laptop can be totally unresponsive after startup, and the Windows process monitors show nothing above 5% CPU utilization. Right.

For example, during the startup/wakeup of most PCs,their response to clicks to open programs and browsers is very much delayed. I would like to know why. What processes are taking my PC out after startup? It would be very helpful to see in real time what the heck my PC is doing, so I could decide how to optimize it... Thanks!
Try this first.

Click Start> In the search box type in msconfig > then click open msconfig utility
Click on the boot tab and then turn on Safe boot, then Network, like this.
safeboot.png

Then click OK. This will boot your computer into safemode with networking (internet).
In safemode, all extra non-essential programs/services will all be turned off. You will be running barebones windows, almost.
Then test your computer in this environment.

If you computer responds quickly and seems to work fast, then the problem is that you have programs that are starting with your system that are using up all of its resources.
In this case do the following
  • Go into your programs and features and uninstall any program that you are not actively using.
  • Then go back into msconfig, uncheck safeboot this time click on the Startup tab. Then look at each item in the list, if you don't know what it is, google it and find out what it is, then decide if you need it running ALL the time or not. Example: Skype, you don't need running all the time, itunes, same thing. Antivirus yes you need it all the time. That sort of thing.
  • You just did a mini tune up. Reboot your computer and test again. Hopefully, its fixed.
If your computer still behaves poorly in safemode, then we're probably dealing with some system error, a malware infection or a hardware issue.
If this was my computer, I would simply wipe it (format the hard drive to erase everything and reinstall the OS). This will rule out system error/malware infection. If the problem doesn't go away, then your computer has turned into a lemon (the hardware is the problem)EDIT: If the issue is ONLY with going to the internet, then it might be worth your time to speak to your ISP

Likes billy_joule
berkeman said:
and the Windows process monitors show nothing above 5% CPU utilization. Right.

Why do you find that impossible to believe? What if it's not the CPU that's limiting you, but memory or disk?

Likes Borg
Vanadium 50 said:
Why do you find that impossible to believe? What if it's not the CPU that's limiting you, but memory or disk?
Good question, but their monitor windows also show low utilization during this startup delay phase...

Vanadium 50's question made me think that you could be low on disk space. If you haven't defragged in a while or you are under 10% of disk space, it could be having to do a lot of swapping. Beyond that, I usually disable or remove services <cough>Google Earth Updater</cough> that I don't need.

I have a utility call "CleamMem mini monitor" (free), which gives a real time note of percentage of memory in use. It also makes room by removing files from memory that are not needed. It can be gotten from SnapFiles.

On my windows 7 pro I use resource monitor (%windir%\system32\perfmon.exe /res)

Also you can configure msc files to show graphical view of everything you can imagine in performance monitor.
To configure those try %windir%\system32\perfmon.exe

You can configure graphs of internet, cpu, disk reads, disk writes, memory utilization, etc all graphing in real time.

Another wild tool is processExplorer from Microsoft SysInternals. It will tell you everything about everything running on your machine. How much memory, Internet, disk, etc. Every thread. It's fantastic.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb842062.aspx

What is real-time PC performance monitoring software?

Real-time PC performance monitoring software is a type of software that tracks and analyzes the performance of a computer in real-time. It provides users with information about the system's CPU usage, memory usage, disk activity, and other important metrics.

What is the purpose of having a monitoring window / GUI in this software?

The monitoring window or GUI (Graphical User Interface) in this software allows users to view and analyze the performance data in a visual format. It provides a more user-friendly and intuitive way of understanding the system's performance.

What are the benefits of using real-time PC performance monitoring software?

Real-time PC performance monitoring software can help users identify performance issues, track system usage over time, and optimize system resources. It can also help in troubleshooting and diagnosing problems that may arise on a computer.

How does real-time PC performance monitoring software collect data?

The software collects data by using system APIs (Application Programming Interfaces) to retrieve information about the system's performance. It can also use hardware sensors and software probes to gather data from various components of the computer.

Is real-time PC performance monitoring software only for advanced users?

No, real-time PC performance monitoring software can be used by both advanced and non-technical users. It provides a user-friendly interface and can be customized according to the user's needs. However, some technical knowledge may be required to interpret and analyze the performance data accurately.