Shutting down Windows 10 from CMD takes more time than usual....

In summary, Windows 10 shuts down more slowly than Linux when the command is triggered from CMD. However, using the /t switch makes the shutdown and startup quite fast, almost as fast as using the GUI buttons.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Why does Windows 10 take more time to shutdown if it is triggered from the command prompt rather than the usual shutdown button?
Just like a Linux computer can be made to shut down from the terminal using sudo poweroff, a Windows 10 PC can be shut down from the command prompt using shutdown /s.

I have, however, seen that Windows 10 takes more time to shut down if the command is triggered from CMD. In my laptop, it generally takes two times the time for usual shutdown using the GUI, unlike Linux, where shutting down from the terminal is perhaps faster than using the GUI. In addition, starting the laptop (running Win 10) after it was shut down from CMD takes more time too.

What is the difference between shutting down the PC from CMD compared to the normal shut down process using the GUI buttons?

Computer science news on Phys.org
My WAG involves running processes. Command shutdown might be waiting for orderly process shut down while the GUI forces time out. Do you see different prompts if, say, an unsaved Word file is open before shutting down?

Likes phinds
Google 'Windows fast startup'.

Likes hmmm27
pbuk said:
Google 'Windows fast startup'.
What does fast startup have to do with slow shutdown? I'm not saying it doesn't just curious what the connection is if there is one.

I'm guessing there's a default time before shutdown... yup the /t switch

• Informative
Likes jedishrfu and phinds
hmmm27 said:
I'm guessing there's a default time before shutdown... yup the /t switch
Forgot to mention - i have set /t to 0.
Klystron said:
Do you see different prompts if, say, an unsaved Word file is open before shutting down?
If /t > 0, no prompt is shown. But in this case, no application is open when i am shutting down.

Yeah, I thought it seemed too easy... perhaps looking at the syslog (whatever M$ calls it) could shed some light... Event Viewer.

phinds said:
What does fast startup have to do with slow shutdown? I'm not saying it doesn't just curious what the connection is if there is one.
That's why I suggested a search :wink: but briefly fast startup works by loading a preconfigured kernel from disk which was saved during the previous shutdown (unless you disable fast startup), thus avoiding loading many separate driver files from disk as well as part of the (UEFI) BIOS bare metal boot routine.

• Informative
Likes phinds
pbuk said:
That's why I suggested a search :wink: but briefly fast startup works by loading a preconfigured kernel from disk which was saved during the previous shutdown (unless you disable fast startup), thus avoiding loading many separate driver files from disk as well as part of the (UEFI) BIOS bare metal boot routine.
For fast startup, the command should be shutdown /s /hybrid. Will try it tonight and post the results.

Update: Using the command shutdown /s /hybrid /t 0 /f makes the shutdown and startup quite fast, almost as fast as using the GUI buttons.

Last edited:
Try <shift> clicking the GUI Shutdown button.

(ie: what pbuk said)

1. Why does it take longer to shut down Windows 10 from CMD?

There are several reasons why it may take longer to shut down Windows 10 from CMD than usual. One common reason is that there may be a large number of background processes or programs running, which can slow down the shutdown process. Additionally, if there are any pending updates or installations, the shutdown process may take longer to complete.

2. Is there a way to speed up the shutdown process in CMD?

Yes, there are a few steps you can try to speed up the shutdown process in CMD. First, you can try closing any unnecessary programs or processes before shutting down. You can also check for and install any pending updates before shutting down. Additionally, you can use the "force" command in CMD to forcefully shut down any stubborn processes that may be causing delays.

3. Can a virus or malware cause a longer shutdown time in CMD?

Yes, a virus or malware can potentially cause a longer shutdown time in CMD. Malicious software can slow down or interfere with system processes, including the shutdown process. It's important to regularly scan your computer for viruses and malware and take steps to remove them if detected.

4. Will running CMD as an administrator make a difference in shutdown time?

Running CMD as an administrator can potentially make a difference in shutdown time. When you run CMD as an administrator, it has elevated privileges which can allow it to close down processes that may be causing delays. However, this may not always be the case and other factors, such as the number of programs and processes running, can also impact shutdown time.

5. Is there a way to monitor the shutdown process in CMD?

Yes, you can use the Task Manager to monitor the shutdown process in CMD. Simply open the Task Manager and go to the "Details" tab. Look for the "cmd.exe" process and monitor the CPU and memory usage. If the usage remains high for an extended period, it may indicate that there are processes taking longer to shut down and you may need to take steps to speed up the process.