Shutting down Windows 10 from CMD takes more time than usual...

Wrichik Basu

Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
Summary
Why does Windows 10 take more time to shutdown if it is triggered from the command prompt rather than the usual shutdown button?
Just like a Linux computer can be made to shut down from the terminal using sudo poweroff, a Windows 10 PC can be shut down from the command prompt using shutdown /s.

I have, however, seen that Windows 10 takes more time to shut down if the command is triggered from CMD. In my laptop, it generally takes two times the time for usual shutdown using the GUI, unlike Linux, where shutting down from the terminal is perhaps faster than using the GUI. In addition, starting the laptop (running Win 10) after it was shut down from CMD takes more time too.

What is the difference between shutting down the PC from CMD compared to the normal shut down process using the GUI buttons?

Klystron

Gold Member
My WAG involves running processes. Command shutdown might be waiting for orderly process shut down while the GUI forces time out. Do you see different prompts if, say, an unsaved Word file is open before shutting down?

Google 'Windows fast startup'.

phinds

Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Google 'Windows fast startup'.
What does fast startup have to do with slow shutdown? I'm not saying it doesn't just curious what the connection is if there is one.

I'm guessing there's a default time before shutdown... yup the /t switch

Wrichik Basu

Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
I'm guessing there's a default time before shutdown... yup the /t switch
Forgot to mention - i have set /t to 0.
Do you see different prompts if, say, an unsaved Word file is open before shutting down?
If /t > 0, no prompt is shown. But in this case, no application is open when i am shutting down.

Yeah, I thought it seemed too easy... perhaps looking at the syslog (whatever M$ calls it) could shed some light... Event Viewer.

What does fast startup have to do with slow shutdown? I'm not saying it doesn't just curious what the connection is if there is one.
That's why I suggested a search :wink: but briefly fast startup works by loading a preconfigured kernel from disk which was saved during the previous shutdown (unless you disable fast startup), thus avoiding loading many separate driver files from disk as well as part of the (UEFI) BIOS bare metal boot routine.

Wrichik Basu

Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
That's why I suggested a search :wink: but briefly fast startup works by loading a preconfigured kernel from disk which was saved during the previous shutdown (unless you disable fast startup), thus avoiding loading many separate driver files from disk as well as part of the (UEFI) BIOS bare metal boot routine.
For fast startup, the command should be shutdown /s /hybrid. Will try it tonight and post the results.

Update: Using the command shutdown /s /hybrid /t 0 /f makes the shutdown and startup quite fast, almost as fast as using the GUI buttons.

Last edited:
Try <shift> clicking the GUI Shutdown button.

(ie: what pbuk said)