Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reality Blinks

1. Jan 10, 2007 #1
    Two people sat eating fish and chips in the open air...both see a car shift sideways. There was no way for it to have done so and it did not make a sound as it moved. One minute it was there...the next it shifted a foot or so sideways. Both people stopped mid chip and looked at eachother for confirmation of what they saw. What happened?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2007 #2
    Did this happen to you? I assume that none of it did and youve just been making weird stuff up lately. If that did happen to you, then I need to get some of that acid off you and try it out for myself. It sounds like some good stuff.

4. Jan 11, 2007 #3
    l.o.l...nope it did not happen to me..I'm qouting science writer Jenny Randles and the story was thoroughly researched..any ideas anyone?

5. Jan 11, 2007 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What exactly are you putting in the fish and chips.

6. Jan 11, 2007 #5

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Fish and Chips? Hmm, they were at the seaside. They were sat on a bench on a floating marina (or a boat).

GD is fegging weird these days.

7. Jan 11, 2007 #6

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is this the succesor to smegging?

8. Jan 11, 2007 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just pointing out a typo: 'carp' is missing a p.

9. Jan 11, 2007 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Being that it involved Fish and Chips, I vote for London Forces.

:uhh:

10. Jan 12, 2007 #9

Mk

This is just the typical "selectively apply quantum world concepts to classical."

If you never looked at the car it probably moved and didn't.

11. Jan 12, 2007 #10
    I wouldn't believe Jenny Randles if she told me 2 + 2 = 4.

12. Jan 12, 2007 #11
    My Guess:
    There were 2 people carrying a glass pane (or some other aparently transparent medium, such as a large tank of water), they walked past and between glances both seated persons looked at the car through two different mediums. Refraction caused a displacement of the image.

Calculate the required glass thickness, distance from source and target, and the length of the object from average foot speed to be sure.

Or you could try some alien mind-ray...

13. Jan 12, 2007 #12

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ahhhh! I knew the rest of us were missing something. Damn those alien mind-rays.

14. Jan 12, 2007 #13

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Do you suppose you could link to a useful article?

15. Jan 12, 2007 #14
    As a neurologically minded person I would first suspect there was never any movement of the car, only some sort of shared hallucination. This happens in the phenomenon known as folie a deax. In practise the first to hallucinate cues the other somehow about the content of the hallucination which the latter then generates in their own mind, and later they edit the cue out of the story, and their memories, when relating the incident.

16. Jan 12, 2007 #15
    I attended a lecture given by her once about debunking some of the myths behind the MIB stories, she had researched the subject thoroughly and all her arguments against various likelihoods were rigorously analytical.

My favourite part of the lecture was a picture of a field with a young girl standing in it, the man had taken it some days earlier but when he had it processed there was a fireman hovering above the little girl. Which was odd as obviously there wasn't one there originally; tellingly though what you can see in the picture is the vapour trail of what looks like the exhaust from something, and coincidently there was a top secret missile test on that very day? And wouldn't you know the missile is obscured by the fireman? So what do you think happened :smile: I saw the photo in question and I have to say it was very odd, it really did look as if the fireman was standing there 40 ft above them, even the shadows were consistent.

Anyway she was excellent value for money and came across as very credible.

Mind you I've only ever read one of her books so maybe she's written some wierd crackpottery too, although I always thought she was more of a skeptic?

What was the question again:smile:?

Oh yeah, probably just a wormhole or something mundane, sucked it in then spat it out.

Can never rule out halucination either, even among crowds it happens.

17. Jan 12, 2007 #16
    I was too harsh. Although she seems too ready to believe the supernatural, she is nowhere near as bad as the worst of that kind. I'll take her word for it on 2 + 2.

18. Jan 13, 2007 #17

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Yes. Kind of the way the description in the original post was edited to exclude any details that would help us analyze it. We are left with nothing but a story we are to either believe or disbelieve.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?