Really basic question, electromagnetism.

In summary, electrons do not have net movement when dealing with AC currents. They simply move back and forth, unlike in DC currents where they move at a much slower pace. You can search for "drift velocity" for more information.
Diego Quexada
Hi I would like to ask you guys something a little basic but is itching my mind, the question is : do electrons have net movement when dealing with ac currents? Suposing we have a sine wave for voltage and current. Thanks in advance !
PD:please excuse any grammar mistake.

Physics news on Phys.org
Diego Quexada said:
Hi I would like to ask you guys something a little basic but is itching my mind, the question is : do electrons have net movement when dealing with ac currents? Suposing we have a sine wave for voltage and current. Thanks in advance !
PD:please excuse any grammar mistake.
No, they don't. They just move back and forth. With DC current, they move but WAY slower than you are likely to expect. Google "drift velocity".

Ok thanks I will!

1. What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is the branch of physics that deals with the interaction between electrically charged particles and magnetic fields. It is responsible for many everyday phenomena, such as electricity, magnetism, and light.

2. How does electromagnetism work?

Electromagnetism works through the exchange of electromagnetic waves, which are created when electrically charged particles accelerate. These waves can travel through space and interact with other charged particles, causing attraction or repulsion.

3. What are the fundamental laws of electromagnetism?

The fundamental laws of electromagnetism are known as Maxwell's equations. These four equations describe the relationships between electric and magnetic fields, and how they are affected by the presence of charges and currents.

4. What are some real-life applications of electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism has numerous real-life applications, including electricity generation, motors and generators, telecommunications, medical imaging, and many more. It is also the basis for modern technologies such as computers and smartphones.

5. How does electromagnetism relate to other branches of physics?

Electromagnetism is closely related to other branches of physics, such as mechanics and thermodynamics. It is also an essential component of the unified theory of electromagnetism and gravity, known as Einstein's theory of general relativity.