Terrible Teacher in Material Science - Advice Needed

• Thread starter Femme_physics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Teacher
In summary: I got the answers from the quiz, so I don't really need to know the stuff from the book. I don't think it would be very useful to revise from the book because the quiz was open book. If you're thinking about doing the exam without knowing the material, then you're going to struggle. If you're thinking about doing the exam knowing the material, then you're going to have a much easier time.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
In "material science" we have a terrible teacher. We have no books and a disorderly bunch of pdf files (of which 85% is not in our study material). From the beginning of the semester he's been basically just talking. Not letting us exercise. I complained about him for not giving us proper exercise material (a lot of students agree with me about him) and he eventally, yesterday, sent me an email with 2 pages of 13 questions in trivia form. To get the answers to these questions, I picked a book from the library, and all I have to do is just a hide-and-seek game, to see what they're asking and find the right paragraph. It's kinda pathetic, I feel, but okay. The test will apparently also be in trivia form.

I'm now not sure what to do.

On the one hand I don't want to get a bad grade by ignoring it. Another reason why I don't want to ignore it is that I actually want to KNOW this stuff. On the other hand, not ignoring it seems to get me to a point where I don't know what's useful to study. The teacher is completely useless and keeps telling us not to worry. I've heard many teachers say "not to worry" and during tests they **** us up!

The test will be with open material.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Should I complain to do the dean? (I was pondering that)... Or just hoist with me all the books and notes I need during test?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you could ask him what kind of stuff will be in the exam, and that you don't know what to revise/ don't know what to expect from the exam and therefore don't know if you'll be prepared for it.
If you feel like the aim of the course and its main principles aren't clear, then your teacher isn't doing his job very well. This might be something to make a complaint about, especially if several students are saying the same thing.
I guess you could revise some more from the book you used to answer the trivia questions. I guess if its open book, then you could just look it up during the exam, but if you learn it first, you should have an easier time doing the exam. Sorry I can't be of more help

Actually your reply is great help. At least someone who can relate to my plight makes me feel good. :) And great advice! I'll ask him specifically about the test. I'm not sure if it's a fair question, but he has been an unfair teacher!

yeah, no worries. Hope it all goes well.

Don't complain to the dean! They might be lovers :)

LOL
Um, they're both fairly straight-looking older men. I seriously doubt that!

This is not just you it's almost everyone that posts these kinds of threads.

Have you not spoken directly to him about it?

It's interesting that you used the phrase 'I complained about him'.

Have you spoken to people who already took the course? What did they do about the situation? Was the exam easy or not? This would be the first thing I'd do...

Complaining to the dean would be the last thing on my mind. And if you do so, be sure to do so with the entire class. But the thing is, you're just a student, while the dean and the professor are colleagues. The dean will care more about his colleagues than just a student. It's sad, but that's the way it is :frown:

^To be fair, there probably is some validity in that. There are a lot of people who whine about how bad their teachers are because it gives them an excuse for their poor performance, even though it's really from laziness on their part. I do know/know of a few of those people who have actually gone so far as to send a complaint to the dean with gross exaggerations (and even made up things) about the problems with that professor. I bet deans get a lot of bogus complaints where in reality there might be a small problem with the prof, but it's really nothing the students shouldn't be able to deal with. Among a bunch of those kind of complaints, a single student sending in a legitimate complaint probably just starts to look like the whiny students. If an entire class complains, however...

There do exist terrible teachers out there. Part of life. If he's been there a while, and he's terrible, chances are good that the department head and maybe even the dean already know it.

I think the first question you want to ask is "what do you want to change?" Once you have that clear in your head, you can move towards that. I suspect that is more likely to get you where you want to be than complaining up the food chain.

Figure out what topics make up the course, grab a relevant book, and teach yourself by reading and solving problems. I had the same tough time when I was learning basic mechanics which, being the first time I was learning "hard" physics (relative to a Michio Kaku book), our instructor managed to make it hell. Our instructor (PhD and tenure) was HORRIBLE. Never taught, wrote a basic equation on the board then reminisced for 2 hours, and sometimes came to class plastered, which he managed to do during our 15 minute break (you have to guzzle a lot of booze very quickly to do that). Eventually he got a DUI mid semester and the lab instructor took over (he was EXCELLENT and just a high school teacher). Bottom line you have to teach yourself when you find yourself in those situations.
Teachers tend to get worse at teaching as you take more advanced classes.

I have experienced the same problem in a math class, I talked to the department head and non-directly mentioned it to other instructors, it was clear that they already knew but no one cared to do anything.

In general I don't feel professors are held to sufficient standards.

Last edited:
Skrew said:
In general I don't feel professors are held to sufficient standards.

Professors are held to standards. The problem is that professors aren't judged on teaching. The department head, dean, etc. won't care that the professor is a good teacher or not. The only thing they care about is how much that professor publishes. That is the standard the professors are held to.

The professors conclude that teaching is a stupid chore that needs to be done. And most act that way too.

It's important to distinguish between research universities and teaching colleges. Yes, research has a much larger effect on faculty evaluations in the former than the latter - that's what makes it a research university. Complaining that a research university has different priorities than a teaching college is a little like complaining that the hamburger you just ordered has meat in it.

Nevertheless, there are a lot of people who are at major research university and are shocked to discover that they are not at a four-year teaching college.

In any event, this doesn't help the OP. The key question, in my view, is "what do you want to happen"? Once that's understood, the next thing is to figure out how to make it happen. (Although the fact that it's mid-May already may limit what is possible)

Femme_physics said:
I complained about him for not giving us proper exercise material (a lot of students agree with me about him) and he eventally, yesterday, sent me an email with 2 pages of 13 questions in trivia form. To get the answers to these questions, I picked a book from the library, and all I have to do is just a hide-and-seek game, to see what they're asking and find the right paragraph. It's kinda pathetic, I feel, but okay. The test will apparently also be in trivia form.

At least you got these questions out of him! :smile:
They should be representative for what the test is about.
One of my favourite methods has been to approach senior students and ask if they still have old exam questions.
This not only helps you to practice specifically for the exam, but it also gives you a handhold to find and follow the logical threads through the material.

If you can find a book, pdf files or internet pages where you can find the answers to these questions, you will have found a valuable source of information.
It may seem like hide-and-seek, but this is actually good practice.
IRL it often works like this - you have a problem, you need to find the relevant information, and in the process you learn about the material.
Don't be shy to read a little bit more than just what you need to answer the question! :wink:

As for the teacher, if he's a long standing teacher, I agree that it probably won't help (much) to complain. The dean probably already knows it and allows it.

It won't hurt to talk to the teacher himself and/or the dean informally and off the record.
Talking to the teacher himself might actually do a lot of good.
If you do it in private, and explain to him how difficult you find it to learn from him and that you're really eager to learn, he might listen!

However, it's good that you approached him and got the questions! :smile:

Thanks all. I like to think I have a pretty sober opinion since:

I excel in all other subjects (mechanics, electronics, math), that I'd consider in theory a lot more difficult than material science whose knowledge is mostly theoretical. I solved all the exercise notebooks they gave us for each of those 3 subjects. The teacher for materials science however didn't bother giving us any exercise book, pages, or anything. He doesn't seem to care. After I continuously complained he finally sent me a 2 pages trivia form questionnaire.

What do I want to happen? I want an exercise manual. I want us to see exercising during class. We do it in all other subjects! In this subject, the teacher is just talking during the entire class, explaining about the points in the graphs the same explanation to which I have in my notebook. Fine, he should do this for a little bit, but all the class? For 4 classes in a row? Not stopping to breath and let us exercise and review the stuff we've learned? No homework?!?

Most of the students lose him or fall asleep. In our other classes we get to exercise, and it's wonderfully easy and an intensive experience.

I want to make sure this teacher understands that without exercising we can't solve problems and would get a bad grade at the test!

Thanks for all your feedback, anyway.

Femme_physics said:
What do I want to happen? I want an exercise manual. I want us to see exercising during class. We do it in all other subjects! In this subject, the teacher is just talking during the entire class, explaining about the points in the graphs the same explanation to which I have in my notebook. Fine, he should do this for a little bit, but all the class? For 4 classes in a row? Not stopping to breath and let us exercise and review the stuff we've learned? No homework?!?
I honestly don't see a problem with not doing exercises, and especially not getting homework. You can do that on your own, if you wish. University isn't high school, where you get pampered and hand-held with getting homework, ensuring you're on track. His approach is therefore just as valid as any other, and I wouldn't go to the dean to complain. After all, getting homework in a university setting sounded silly until I crossed the pond. So just because you're used to a different teaching style doesn't mean all other professors have to conform to it. My $0.02 anyway.

I honestly don't see a problem with not doing exercises, and especially not getting homework. You can do that on your own, if you wish. University isn't high school, where you get pampered and hand-held with getting homework, ensuring you're on track. His approach is therefore just as valid as any other, and I wouldn't go to the dean to complain. After all, getting homework in a university setting sounded silly until I crossed the pond. So just because you're used to a different teaching style doesn't mean all other professors have to conform to it. My $0.02 anyway.

With respect to "doing my own"-- two big problems with that.

A) how do I know if what I'm solving is relevant to our course? Our course is very specific. Only the teacher can confirm what questions and issues are relevant to the class. In which case, instead of me going to him asking him "can I solve this question is it relenting?" -- which is silly, I think he better have some questions he can give us. He already told us in advance that most resources out there aren't relevant and we should just listen to him.

B) When a teacher gives homework to the entire class, the entire class is engaged in it. You can talk to other students, relate to their struggles, and study as a community, which is extremely powerful. Not taking advantage of that seems like a waste to me.

Besides, there's no reason why NOT to hold your professors and college representative to a higher standard. They're human. They make mistakes. Our feedback can help them.
Besides, maybe they would start thinking more about the class and caring more. I wouldn't take an instant negative position of "forget about it" as you appear to.
I honestly don't see a problem with not doing exercises, and especially not getting homework

Right, what's the point of even coming to class? Heck, what's the point in staying in college anyway? Let's just fail and drop.

So just because you're used to a different teaching style doesn't mean all other professors have to conform to it.

I actually like different teaching styles, just as I like different styles of clothing. There's a difference between "style" and plain ol' terrible (i.e. wearing burlap). And thanks ILS, your posts are always valuable. If there'll be an update to post I will :)

Last edited:
I'd have to agree with Ryker that part of being at University is not being spoon fed. It's probably the single greatest aspect of University, you learn to study motivate and learn yourself.

I'm quite a big fan of division of teaching, lectures should be just that, tutorials should be completely seperate.
It up to you in your own time to make the cognative leap between the two.

If you are dead set on having a complain:
First rule of complaining, have a potential solution already thought out. Otherwise it's just bitching.
Second rule, use the 'chain of command'. All 'going to the top' will do is just really piss everyone involved off.

Last edited:
I'd have to agree with Ryker that part of being at University is not being spoon fed. It's probably the single greatest aspect of University, you learn to study motivate and learn yourself.

It's a college, not a university! We're studying for a practical engineering degree, with most students being dads with 1-2 jobs. For most of them it's the first time seeing vectors, many of them even needed basic math refreshment. We started this course from FRACTIONS!
We've not signed up to Yale.

I'm quite a big fan of division of teaching, lectures should be just that, tutorials should be completely seperate.
It up to you in your own time to make the cognative leap between the two.

It's up to me to do a lot of cognitive leaps. I made tons of them with mechanics and electronics. But I had what to exercise. I had students to compare results to. It shouldn't be up to me to provide my own exercise examples and past tests. I get that in all other subjects. I've even gotten that in one of the worst places I've studied-- open university! I got that even at the two professional courses I've taken. This is the only course where I don't get it.

Femme_physics said:
It's a college, not a university!

Ahhhhhhh. Well if it's a college I can see why you are a bit upset with the teaching method. I would be too.

Still deal with the guy first, the go further up the chain.

Frankly, everyone can relate with you because of our own experiences with bad instructors.

But ultimately, learning is our own responsibility; in fact sometimes I like bad instructors just because they make no sense to anyone, with just a little personal effort I am able to out-perform my peers.

Poor family environment, poor instructors, bad influence from friends, relationship troubles, etc. Not everyone is blessed to have the best circumstances for success but we just have to deal with it :)

Femme_physics said:
A) how do I know if what I'm solving is relevant to our course? Our course is very specific. Only the teacher can confirm what questions and issues are relevant to the class. In which case, instead of me going to him asking him "can I solve this question is it relenting?" -- which is silly, I think he better have some questions he can give us. He already told us in advance that most resources out there aren't relevant and we should just listen to him.

So just listen to him!

Why should he give you example exam questions? Maybe he's trying to see how well you will do in a 'real world' situation.

There are no nice problem sets in industry or research.

Femme_physics said:
When a teacher gives homework to the entire class, the entire class is engaged in it. You can talk to other students, relate to their struggles, and study as a community, which is extremely powerful.

There is no community that is going to give you lots of specific help in problems you encounter in your career. Why should the lecturer encourage you to all work on example problems until you all have the exam beat? Then you'll all get top grades - at least the hard workers. If he springs the exam on you, that could be far more revealing - it will highlight the potential Feynman's - those who can *really* think on their feet in difficult situations.

Femme_physics said:
Besides, there's no reason why NOT to hold your professors and college representative to a higher standard. They're human. They make mistakes. Our feedback can help them.
Besides, maybe they would start thinking more about the class and caring more. I wouldn't take an instant negative position of "forget about it" as you appear to.

Perhaps he has a higher standard, certainly he has a valid one - that's why the dean is happy with him. Why should he think more about the class and care more? That doesn't happen in the real world - he's just preparing you for it.

With your approach everyone will pass, everyone will be happy, but your lecturer will have no idea who will make a really tough, innovative, fast-thinking materials science researcher - and that's what he wants.

Femme_physics said:
Right, what's the point of even coming to class? Heck, what's the point in staying in college anyway? Let's just fail and drop.

He's told you that to pass you will have to come to class and listen to him! That's the point of coming to class.

He actually sounds more involved than many lecturers, some give big hints that it's all in the textbook - then they have less people to bother with at lecturers, and no one pursuing them for problem sets or hand-holding.

He wants most people to do badly, then those that are likely to be *really* good will shine out. If you don't really have a first class mind for materials science, can't really pass this guys class, then its best to find out now and go and teach in a community college or something.

Ask around, there will be some people (maybe only one or two) who have got an A from this guy. Ask them how they did it.

P.S. This grappling with the situation tooth and nail, as you are doing in this thread, is a good sign - keep it up, 18hrs a day, and you might make it...

Femme_physics said:
In "material science" we have a terrible teacher. We have no books and a disorderly bunch of pdf files (of which 85% is not in our study material). From the beginning of the semester he's been basically just talking. Not letting us exercise. I complained about him for not giving us proper exercise material (a lot of students agree with me about him) and he eventally, yesterday, sent me an email with 2 pages of 13 questions in trivia form. To get the answers to these questions, I picked a book from the library, and all I have to do is just a hide-and-seek game, to see what they're asking and find the right paragraph. It's kinda pathetic, I feel, but okay. The test will apparently also be in trivia form.
Well there's teaching to a test :uhh: and teaching.

Is this an introductory course in material science? From the comment about persons need remedial math, I suspect it is.

There are several classic texts on the subject - e.g., Callister:

One would wish to have some exposure to:
Chapter 2: Atomic Structure and Interatomic Bonding
Chapter 3: The Structure of Crystalline Solids
Chapter 4: Imperfections in Solids
Chapter 5: Diffusion
Chapter 6: Mechanical Properties of Metals
Chapter 7: Dislocations and Strengthening Mechanisms
Chapter 8: Failure
Chapter 9: Phase Diagrams
Chapter 10: Phase Transformations in Metals
Chapter 11: Metal Alloys
Chapter 12: Structures and Properties of Ceramics
Chapter 13: Applications and Processing of Ceramics
Chapter 14: Polymer Structures
Chapter 15: Characteristics, Applications, and Processing of Polymers
Chapter 16: Composites
Chapter 17: Corrosion and Degradation of Materials

Many intro materials courses focus on common alloy systems, particularly steels (Fe,C), Al alloys, and Copper alloys (Cu-Zn, Cu-Sn, . . ), since they are most common.

Obviously we don't know the detailed contents of your courses, but part of the problem could be you are expecting the wrong thing from the course. As you said, in mechanics etc you are meant to be learning how to apply some general principles to solving problems, and the way you learn that is mostly by practising solving problems.

But an introductory materials course could be much more about "learning facts about commonliy used materials". At a beginning level, there isn't much theory or problem solving involved. Of course there is a lot of theory involved if you want to know how bulk properties of a material liike its thermal or electrical conductivity are related to quantum mechanics, for example, but that is the difference between a first materials course for engineers, and an advanced course for physicists.

Maybe you should be approaching it more like a med student learning human anatomy. You can't do much "problem solving" about the human skeleton - you just have to learn what all the bones are called and how they fit together, because in real life situations finding a computer and getting the infomation from Google is not an option.

Astronuc said:
Well there's teaching to a test :uhh: and teaching.

Is this an introductory course in material science? From the comment about persons need remedial math, I suspect it is.

Which just so happens to be a bloody good book!

Got me through my materials course and has a well deserved place on my shelf.

Femme_physics said:
With respect to "doing my own"-- two big problems with that.

B) When a teacher gives homework to the entire class, the entire class is engaged in it. You can talk to other students, relate to their struggles, and study as a community, which is extremely powerful. Not taking advantage of that seems like a waste to me.
Again, this seems like high school thinking to me. Sure, he could do all of that, but that doesn't mean he needs or should do that if his goal is to make you learn the material best.
Femme_physics said:
I agree, but you seem to think he conforms to a lower standard, whereas I think (from your description, at least) he merely conforms to a different one, one that isn't necessarily lower.
Femme_physics said:
You mean what's the point of going to college if teachers don't teach the way you want them to? :wink: Look, I don't know the details, so maybe I'm being too harsh here, and maybe he really is a bad lecturer. But from what you've described, it only seems he just doesn't assign homework and do examples, which is fine in my book. I actually prefer some examples, as well, but I don't find them necessary if the course material is explained well. However, it looks like your beef is with not having an exercise manual and homeworks, which I think at university level one shouldn't take as granted.
ych22 said:
Frankly, everyone can relate with you because of our own experiences with bad instructors.

But ultimately, learning is our own responsibility; in fact sometimes I like bad instructors just because they make no sense to anyone, with just a little personal effort I am able to out-perform my peers.

Poor family environment, poor instructors, bad influence from friends, relationship troubles, etc. Not everyone is blessed to have the best circumstances for success but we just have to deal with it :)
I can relate with her experience, as well, and hope that in the future her professors will be more to her liking. And while learning ultimately is our own responsibility, I don't actually think this relieves professors from being good teachers. It's just that their duty is to actually teach to the best of their abilities, not to the best liking of their students.

xxChrisxx said:
Which just so happens to be a bloody good book!

Got me through my materials course and has a well deserved place on my shelf.

It's also very easy to find online... just sayin'

General_Sax said:
It's also very easy to find online... just sayin'

But then... what would keep the right hand side of my top shelf in place?

I'll say it in advance - Thanks Ryker, Mal4mac, I love being challenged ;)

So just listen to him!

Why should he give you example exam questions? Maybe he's trying to see how well you will do in a 'real world' situation.

There are no nice problem sets in industry or research.

We're in our 1st year of college now, not in industry or research.

There is no community that is going to give you lots of specific help in problems you encounter in your career. Why should the lecturer encourage you to all work on example problems until you all have the exam beat?

Because that's how I can truly gain the most knowledge, by practicing. Practice leads to perfection.
Then you'll all get top grades - at least the hard workers. If he springs the exam on you, that could be far more revealing - it will highlight the potential Feynman's - those who can *really* think on their feet in difficult situations.
We're not playing games here. We're in a college for a practical engineers degree where people are trying to get by with jobs and kids, this is not a high-level university to start playing some sort of academic "who's the genius" competition-- in fact, if any of us were genius, we wouldn't be in this college studying for practical engineer. We would be at a university starting for a 1st degree.
We're practical, we want to know what we can and study our best, we don't have time for such silliness. Trust me, no one cares enough to "test us" like that to see what we're made of... more likely, they just don't want to spend the extra energy to give us more material.

Perhaps he has a higher standard, certainly he has a valid one - that's why the dean is happy with him. Why should he think more about the class and care more? That doesn't happen in the real world - he's just preparing you for it.

A) Who said the dean is happy with him? Maybe he realizes there is a problem. I haven't spoken to the dean yet, though I've considered speaking with him today as I'm going to be at the college.

B) And to answer why should he care-- that's his job to teach us.
You can't force someone to care, and if you don't, maybe you should pick another career.

Fact are, there are bad teachers and good teachers, why can't you accept the fact he might be a bad teacher? Have you seen him? Talked to him? All those I spoek to in my class have graded our other teachers best marks, he has the only teacher that's practically been unanimously down-graded.

With your approach everyone will pass, everyone will be happy, but your lecturer will have no idea who will make a really tough, innovative, fast-thinking materials science researcher - and that's what he wants.

He's not our lecturer, he's our "one-time" spring trimester introductory material science teacher who we will never see again. Our lecturer himself is amazingly brilliant, and I have no complaints about him. He's been helping us out in the same way which you said he shouldn't. Actually giving us examples and caring. Do you want to complain that he's been overhelping and overcaring about us, maybe? I'll send them a letter in the mail "he's an incredibly overcaring, amazingly helful teacher and the best in the world. I think you should fire him as he's 'not going to prepare me for the industry'"... *rolls eyes*

He's told you that to pass you will have to come to class and listen to him! That's the point of coming to class.

I am able to study tons better from the book, and seems to be way ahead of class when I do.

He actually sounds more involved than many lecturers, some give big hints that it's all in the textbook - then they have less people to bother with at lecturers, and no one pursuing them for problem sets or hand-holding.

That's fine, I'm not after tricks and tips, I actually want to "learn" not just pass a test- but I do want my test to represent my knowledge. How can I truly have confidence in my knowledge without a mock test/trying past tests?

He wants most people to do badly, then those that are likely to be *really* good will shine out. If you don't really have a first class mind for materials science, can't really pass this guys class, then its best to find out now and go and teach in a community college or something.

Haha! Yes, I'm sure he has this ulterior motive. He also has a secret lab at home and he's secretly been a really terrible teacher so he sees who can triumph despite his terrible teaching so he would be worthy to join his lab experiments as partner.

But seriously, seeing how teachers get the heat if students do badly, I seriously doubt he wants us (even secretly) to do badly!

Ask around, there will be some people (maybe only one or two) who have got an A from this guy. Ask them how they did it.

(Warning: Bravado and ego ahead)

I don't think anyone would get a higher grade than me. I said that in our first semester and that was true. I can tell just by questioning students that I'm much more advanced than everyone and ahead of the material (except the few who are actually working in the field-- most of our class haven't heard of an atom though, or really now what 'hardness' means. I did have some background in chemistry before getting into the class and the teacher was even impressed with me [even remarked that it's nice to have a girl in class for a change lol]). The question is how much I'll get in the test, not how much someone else will. I may have given you the impression that I'm a poor girl sobbing for the teacher to babystep me through anything. NOT the case. I've been a teacher myself in the pass and I'm currently on scholarship teaching other people in my class mechanics. In fact, in our last mechanics class, because our teacher has been so splendid to show us our goals, our aim, and past tests (he gave us a file with all the past tests), I've set at the back of the class with my laptop solving problems that we're only going to touch in a few weeks. The only reason I was in class was to help other students (they know I'm good for help). I already solved over 150 mechanics questions from these past tests.

P.S. This grappling with the situation tooth and nail, as you are doing in this thread, is a good sign - keep it up, 18hrs a day, and you might make it...

I'm not sure if you're mocking me or not, in this case I'd point you to my history in this forum which speaks for itself. If you say that I'm spending too much time in this thread, compare it to the time I spend solving problems in this forum, you'll find this thread is no match.
Problem with referrences such as Callister (which I've had downlloaded before the course started) is the fact that there is tons of material that's unrelated to our minor introductory course that's VERY specific.
Obviously we don't know the detailed contents of your courses, but part of the problem could be you are expecting the wrong thing from the course. As you said, in mechanics etc you are meant to be learning how to apply some general principles to solving problems, and the way you learn that is mostly by practising solving problems.

But an introductory materials course could be much more about "learning facts about commonliy used materials". At a beginning level, there isn't much theory or problem solving involved. Of course there is a lot of theory involved if you want to know how bulk properties of a material liike its thermal or electrical conductivity are related to quantum mechanics, for example, but that is the difference between a first materials course for engineers, and an advanced course for physicists.

Maybe you should be approaching it more like a med student learning human anatomy. You can't do much "problem solving" about the human skeleton - you just have to learn what all the bones are called and how they fit together, because in real life situations finding a computer and getting the infomation from Google is not an option.

Best reply in this thread :) Esp. since I've studied anatomy. Thanks.

Again, this seems like high school thinking to me. Sure, he could do all of that, but that doesn't mean he needs or should do that if his goal is to make you learn the material best.
I'd say he's countering his goals, then.
Besides, we're studying stuff less pro than high-school as of now. This is an amazing college that's been baby-stepping this class in everything.

I agree, but you seem to think he conforms to a lower standard, whereas I think (from your description, at least) he merely conforms to a different one, one that isn't necessarily lower.

To me it appears you're giving him an excuse for every teacher in the world who doesn't care about teaching.
"He's just giving you a hard time so you'll do it on your own"

Heck, if he really want to give me a hard time, he shouldn't even bother come to class!

but I don't find them necessary if the course material is explained well.

Most students in my class say it isn't. (few has background in materials science and I know one of them is working at that field. Not fair to count them!)

which I think at university level one shouldn't take as granted.

College! We're college!

I can relate with her experience, as well, and hope that in the future her professors will be more to her liking. And while learning ultimately is our own responsibility, I don't actually think this relieves professors from being good teachers. It's just that their duty is to actually teach to the best of their abilities, not to the best liking of their students.

Fair enough and thank you. Though I will refer you to some text above relating to my ability to self-study if that's in question. But I think I will drop the issue for now, take a breather, and just see how it goes next class and next time I talk to him.I appreciate everyone for your replies. It definitely helped sooth me. :)

Last edited:
I think certain people here are missing an important point, it's absurd to pay 1k-2k$ for a class which an instructor half-asses and does not at least attempt to have students comprehend the material.

The argument that instructors don't owe students anything is bizarre considering students pay university's to teach them the material.

It would be one thing if universities were purely funded by research grants, but they are not and a significant portion of their funding comes from students attending their university to be taught a subject.

In a private enterprise, such an instructor would be fired...

In a private enterprise, such an instructor would be fired...

Excellent point!

For the record I'm not trying to get him fired. That's too far for me or any student to go. Besides, he knows the material, he just needs to make a small leap to make it more accessible to students.

xxChrisxx said:
But then... what would keep the right hand side of my top shelf in place?

1) place magnet ontop of shelf
2) glue steel bar to roof
3) ?
4) book companies go broke!

1. What are the qualities of a good material science teacher?

A good material science teacher should have a strong understanding of the subject matter, effective communication skills, and the ability to engage students in hands-on learning activities. They should also be organized, patient, and able to adapt their teaching style to meet the needs of diverse learners.

2. How can I improve my understanding of material science as a teacher?

To improve your understanding of material science, you can attend workshops and conferences, read relevant research and publications, collaborate with other educators, and engage in professional development opportunities. You can also seek mentorship from experienced material science teachers.

3. How can I make material science lessons more engaging for my students?

To make material science lessons more engaging, you can incorporate hands-on experiments, real-world examples, and interactive activities. You can also use technology, such as simulations and virtual labs, to enhance the learning experience. Additionally, you can encourage student participation and provide opportunities for students to ask questions and share their own ideas.

4. How can I handle difficult students in a material science class?

Dealing with difficult students can be challenging, but it's important to remain calm and maintain a positive attitude. You can try to understand the root cause of the student's behavior and address it accordingly. It can also be helpful to establish clear expectations and consequences, and to provide support and guidance to the student. Don't be afraid to seek advice from other teachers or school counselors if needed.

5. What resources are available for material science teachers?

There are many resources available for material science teachers, including textbooks, online resources, professional organizations, and educational websites. You can also connect with other material science teachers through social media groups or attend conferences and workshops to learn about new teaching strategies and resources. Your school or district may also have resources and materials specifically for material science teachers.