Rear View Mirrors: Objects Closer Than They Appear

• Thread starter AlchemistK
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mirrors
In summary, a convex mirror creates an illusion that objects are closer than they appear. However, this illusion can be deceiving, as the image is actually further away than the objects. This can lead to accidents if drivers rely on the convex mirror to gauge the distance to objects.
Buckleymanor said:
Reckon you should stay of the road until you can read.
Well somebody's feeling a little wounded... :wink:

Science news on Phys.org
Buckleymanor said:
The distance from my face to one of the side view mirror is about the same as the distance to the rear view mirror.
Sorry, I'll spell it out.

Distance is one factor. The other factor is how wide a field of view you need. While it is true that the driver's side mirror is the same distance as the rearview mirror, the requirement for field of view is not the same. Rearview mirror need only show what's directly behind you. Driver's side mirror needs to show everything from your left bumper all the way to the edge of your peripheral vision. This is much wider, and will not be captured by a flat mirror.

(P.S. The difficulty I'm having with you is that you are quick to judge (calling maufacturers "daft") without knowing the purpose or process that led to a design, and do not stop to ask yourself if maybe a hundred years of evolutionary design has given them a modicum of wisdom. I'd be much easier on you if you showed some humility. First, assume people know what they're doing; judge only as a last resort.)

DaveC426913 said:

Distance is one factor. The other factor is how wide a field of view you need. While it is true that the driver's side mirror is the same distance as the rearview mirror, the requirement for field of view is not the same. Rearview mirror need only show what's directly behind you. Driver's side mirror needs to show everything from your left bumper all the way to the edge of your peripheral vision. This is much wider, and will not be captured by a flat mirror.

(P.S. The difficulty I'm having with you is that you are quick to judge (calling maufacturers "daft") without knowing the purpose or process that led to a design, and do not stop to ask yourself if maybe a hundred years of evolutionary design has given them a modicum of wisdom. I'd be much easier on you if you showed some humility. First, assume people know what they're doing; judge only as a last resort.)
Appreciated though I am trying to get some points across even if I am a bit judgmental.
Earlier in the thread it was mentioned that the drivers side mirror was flat and it was only the passengers side that was convex.
It was pointed out that in the U.K. at least this was not the case and I have a sneaking suspicion that the same applies in the U.S.A.
In effect both side mirrors are convex and with the passengers mirror 3-4 feet further away than the other mirrors does this not cause a certain amount of inconsistency with your argument.

Buckleymanor said:
In effect both side mirrors are convex and with the passengers mirror 3-4 feet further away than the other mirrors does this not cause a certain amount of inconsistency with your argument.
It's not an inconsistency, it's an interplay between three parameters for the sake of one end result.

Simply put: field of view is the fixed, required end result. The interplay of three parameters will achieve this: the size of the mirror, its distance and its convexity.

Size and distance are factors that are optimaized - but only up to the constraints of the geometry dictated by the car itself. If the FoV is still not met, the only thing left to do is change the optics of the mirror(s) as needed.

DaveC426913 said:

So to clear things up are the drivers side mirrors in the U.S. convex like the passengers and not flat.Unlike an earlier post that said they were.
If they are convex do they take into account that they are nearer to the driver than the passengers side mirror and have slightly different optics, to allow for the factor of distance.

Buckleymanor said:
So to clear things up are the drivers side mirrors in the U.S. convex like the passengers and not flat.Unlike an earlier post that said they were.
If they are convex do they take into account that they are nearer to the driver than the passengers side mirror and have slightly different optics, to allow for the factor of distance.
All the drivers side mirrors I've seen (in the US) have been flat, not convex. (Although a double mirror is not uncommon, where the smaller top part is convex while the main part is flat.) Only passenger side mirrors are convex.

Last edited:
Doc Al said:
All the drivers side mirrors I've seen (in the US) have been flat, not convex. (Although a double mirror is not uncommon, where the smaller top part is convex while the main part is flat.) Only passenger side mirrors are convex.

Driver side flat mirror is necessary for accurate distance perception.
Passenger convex mirrors are only intended for "enhanced angular view", NOT for driving while looking at them.

Basically, the convex mirrors, though producing a distorted distance image, allows a "threat" observation only. Do not try to change lanes while only viewing a convex mirror. Do, however, glance at that to determine your threat environment.

Doc Al said:
Can this be true.
Daves allready stated.
You completely skipped over the salient bit, which answers your question quite nicely:

If the mirrors were not convex, the field of view that they displayed of what is behind the driver would be so narrow as to be useless (I've done this, it's useless).
And
The difficulty I'm having with you is that you are quick to judge (calling maufacturers "daft") without knowing the purpose or process that led to a design, and do not stop to ask yourself if maybe a hundred years of evolutionary design has given them a modicum of wisdom. I'd be much easier on you if you showed some humility. First, assume people know what they're doing; judge only as a last resort.)
Driver's side mirror needs to show everything from your left bumper all the way to the edge of your peripheral vision. This is much wider, and will not be captured by a flat mirror.
Me thinks someone else should show a modecum of humiliation.

Buckleymanor said:
Can this be true.
It's true. What pallidin stated in post #42 is essentially correct. (See: http://www.garamchai.com/askadesi/ask07.htm" ; it seems accurate to me.)
Daves allready stated.
Dave's statement about driver-side mirrors in the US being convex is incorrect.

In my experience, most folks do not know how to adjust their (flat) driver-side mirror to eliminate most of the blind spot. When you glance at your driver-side mirror you should not see the side of your car.

Last edited by a moderator: