Rearranging coulombs law equation

In summary: I will give it a go and hopefully understand it better next time.In summary, the physics student is struggling to rearrange the coulombs law equation. They were given a question to do and were not able to understand it. A person offered to help them and explained it in a way that the student was able to understand.
Eranu
I have just started the physics part of a science foundation course and I am just really struggling how to rearrange equations

I have been given a question to rearrange the coulombs law equation as below, to make K the subject and i have been sitting here for hours and i am no further forward. Can anyone walk me through it please and you will be saving my sanity.

F=K*Q1*Q2/r2

Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
Right. You need to get K on one side by itself, with nothing else on that side of the equals sign.

F=K*Q1*Q2/r2 (I don't know the Law, I'm assuming Q2/R2 should be in brackets)

Whatever you do to one side, you have to do to the other side as well, so its equal.

Divide by Q1 on both sides

F / Q1 = K * Q2/R2

See how there is less on K's side of the equals sign now?

Times by R2 on both sides

(F / Q1)*R2 = K * Q2

Divide by Q2 on both sides

(F / Q1)*R2*Q2 = K

See how for each step we remove one thing that is on the wrong side of the equation?

I can't understand what you mean to say but I guess this would be your answer:

K = F* r^2/( Q1 * Q2)

Oh...I thought the R2 referred to something you put into the equation. Not R^2. I suppose I shouldn't really comment when i don't know the Law. :( Sorry.

OP didn't ask us for the law. He asked to rearrange and anybody can try to explain him. No fault of Yours.

Edit: And your way of explanation is really amazing.

Thanks. :)

Thanks for the really quick replies - I am sorry i wasnt clear enugh still getting the hang of trying to type equations on the board.

I tried to follow what u said bobbajob

i got something along the lines of K=(sqr root)of F/Q1Q2 but I am guessing I am miles off
The equation in its true form is at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coulomb's_law and is the first one on the page if it makes it clearer.

Thanks again

No worries, this will sound a bit patronising but start with some easier equations (Now that you know your answer.)

Y'know, REALLY easy ones like the DST triangle and stuff.

yeah i guess its just practice but my brain seems to be wired back to front when it comes to physics - ill have nother go at this one and see how i get on. i thought i would have to use a square root when i moved the r^2 across.

thanks for the advice guys

What is Coulomb's Law equation?

Coulomb's Law equation is a mathematical formula that describes the electrostatic force between two charged particles. It states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

Why would someone need to rearrange Coulomb's Law equation?

One may need to rearrange Coulomb's Law equation in order to solve for different variables, such as the charge or distance between particles, depending on the specific situation or problem at hand.

How do you rearrange Coulomb's Law equation?

To rearrange Coulomb's Law equation, you can use algebraic manipulation to isolate the desired variable. For example, if you want to solve for the charge of one particle, you can divide both sides of the equation by the other particle's charge and then take the square root of both sides.

What are the units for the different variables in Coulomb's Law equation?

The units for charge are typically measured in coulombs (C), distance is measured in meters (m), and force is measured in newtons (N). However, it is important to check the specific problem or situation to determine if any conversions or adjustments need to be made.

Can Coulomb's Law equation be applied to all charged particles?

Yes, Coulomb's Law equation can be applied to all charged particles, regardless of their size or type. However, it is important to note that the equation assumes point charges, meaning particles with no physical size or shape, so it may not be as accurate for larger or more complex particles.