Rearranging Equations: Understanding C(z) and Proportionality

• Thread starter Kayne
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about solving an equation for C(z) and creating a graph for a Proportional controller. The highlighted yellow equation is the correct form, but there are uncertainties about the rearrangement. The last equation for C(z) involves replacing terms with a power series in z and complex numbers. The conversation also discusses the use of Z-transform and provides resources for better understanding.
Kayne
Hi there,

In the attachment I have an equation, I have worked though to solve for C(z) which is is highlighted in green. The highlighted yellow equation is what is supposed to look like but I am unsure if I am correct or not. I have tried to used my answer to make a graph for a Proportional controller but it doesn't work out, which makes me believe i have rearranged it wrong

If someone can tell me if the answer i have found is correct or not that would be great.

Thanks for your time

Attachments

• Question1.jpg
    Question1.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 350
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your attached image is too small for me to read, which might be why no one has responded.

Thanks Mark44 for let me know, it seemed to work on my computer but I have now changed it to a work document so you should be able to see it and the answer I have come up with.

Attachments

• Doc1.doc
    43 KB · Views: 177
Everything looks fine down to your last unshaded equation for C(z). After that, the transition to c(k) is so abrupt, that I'm not able to decipher what's going on. I have no idea what the relationship is between c(k) and C(z).

In the last (shaded yellow) equation for C(z) it appears that you are replacing the terms involving R(z) with a finite power series in z-1, z-2, ..., z-m, and something similar with the terms involving C(z).

The complex analysis class I had was so long ago that I'm not able to follow what you're doing in the last two lines.

One thing that bothers me is the e-5x terms mixed in with powers of z, which I assume are complex numbers.

Hi Mark44,

This attachment is the question, it has to do with porportional controllers. In this attachment I have put in the tutorial that I have been following. maybe this will help with the changing from C(z) to C(k)

Attachments

• Question.doc
    23.5 KB · Views: 177
It took me awhile, but it looks like you're working with the Z-transform. I don't have any experience with that transform, so I don't think I can be much help.

Here's a link to the Wikipedia article - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z_transform.

Here's another link to an introductory tutorial than might be more helpful - http://math.fullerton.edu/mathews/c2003/ZTransformIntroMod.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mark44,

Thanks for the information it was a little better to understand than what i had in the textbooks. I was able to transform it into the z domain

thank

What is rearranging equations?

Rearranging equations is the process of changing the order of terms in an equation to isolate a particular variable or simplify the equation.

Why do scientists rearrange equations?

Scientists often rearrange equations to make them easier to solve or to find the value of a specific variable. It can also help in understanding and interpreting the relationship between different variables in an equation.

What are the steps to rearrange an equation?

The steps to rearrange an equation include identifying the variable to isolate, moving all other terms to the other side of the equation, and performing inverse operations to isolate the variable. It is important to maintain the equality of the equation by performing the same operation on both sides.

Can any equation be rearranged?

Yes, any equation can be rearranged as long as the equality is maintained. However, some equations may be more complicated to rearrange and may require more steps or advanced techniques.

How can rearranging equations be applied in scientific research?

Rearranging equations can be applied in various fields of scientific research, such as physics, chemistry, and mathematics. It allows scientists to manipulate and analyze data, make predictions, and solve complex problems. It is also a crucial tool in developing and testing scientific theories and models.