Rearranging formulas. Accelerations

• Thread starter kencamarador
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formulas
In summary, the formula Δd = viΔt+1/2aavΔt^2 can only be used for constant acceleration. When looking at a velocity-time graph, the average acceleration is represented by the slope from the start point to the finish point, while the distance traveled is the area under the curve. This means that even with the same average acceleration, the distance traveled can vary depending on the initial velocity and the time period of acceleration.
kencamarador
If I were to solve for Aav

Δd = viΔt+1/2aavΔt^2

Vi- initial velocity
Aav is average acceleration

Physics news on Phys.org
No, that only works for constant acceleration. Consider a velocity-time graph. The average acceleration is the slope from the start point to finish point, while the distance traveled is the area under the curve. E.g. if you stayed put for an hour then accelerated at 10kph/s for 6 seconds you'd average 1 kph/minute but cover relatively little ground. Conversely, if accelerate for the first 6 seconds then maintain a 60kph an hour you'll have the same average acceleration but go much further.

Related to Rearranging formulas. Accelerations

1. How do I rearrange a formula to solve for acceleration?

To rearrange a formula for acceleration, you need to isolate the variable for acceleration on one side of the equation. This can be done by performing inverse operations on the other variables in the equation. For example, if the formula is a = (vf - vi)/t, you can rearrange it to solve for acceleration by multiplying both sides by t, giving you at = vf - vi. Then, you can isolate the variable for acceleration by adding vi to both sides, giving you at + vi = vf. Finally, you can divide both sides by t to solve for acceleration, giving you a = (vf - vi)/t.

2. How can I use rearranged formulas to calculate acceleration in physics problems?

Rearranging formulas allows you to solve for a specific variable in a given equation. In physics problems, you may be given information about certain variables, such as initial and final velocities, and asked to solve for another variable, such as acceleration. By rearranging the formula and plugging in the given values, you can easily calculate the acceleration in the problem.

3. Can I rearrange the formula for acceleration in different ways?

Yes, there are multiple ways to rearrange formulas for acceleration depending on what variable you are trying to solve for. For example, in the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, you can also rearrange it to solve for final velocity (vf), initial velocity (vi), or time (t).

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when rearranging formulas for acceleration?

One common mistake is forgetting to perform inverse operations on both sides of the equation. Another mistake is misidentifying the variables and their corresponding units. Make sure to carefully check your work to avoid any errors.

5. How can I check if my rearranged formula for acceleration is correct?

You can check your rearranged formula by plugging in the values from the original formula and seeing if it produces the same result. You can also use dimensional analysis to check that the units on both sides of the equation are equivalent.