How do I Solve for t in a Projectile Motion Equation?

• Thread starter Tatjana
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formulas
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving solving an equation for the variable t. The equation given is 0 = vt-1/2at^2 and the person is unsure if they are solving it correctly. They mention attempting various solutions but none seem quite right. The other person suggests adding B to both sides of the equation to get A-B+B=B and explains that -B+B equals zero. However, the person still has questions and feels that going over simple rules won't help without knowing where they went wrong.
Tatjana

Homework Statement

The given equation is:
0 = vt-1/2at^2
and you must solve for t.

Homework Equations

There's a question similar to this one, d=ut+1/2at^2, but there's an extra variable so you are able to use the quadratic formula. In this case, I'm not quite sure if I'm solving the question correctly.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried running through numerous solutions but none of them seem quite right. Here's my attempt, at least.
0=vt-1/2at^2
v=t-1/2at^2
-2av=t-t^2
sq.root(-2av)=t

What am I doing wrong here? I've gone about a year without math, and these are just some introductory algebra questions to 'warm us up' for our physics course, so I think there are a lot of key things that I've forgotten about that could help me solve this question. (BTW, this is a grade 11 university physics course)

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] A-B=0 [/tex]

add B to both side to get

[tex] A-B+B=B [/tex]

and -B+B is usually called zero.

I have the same question, you're reply doesn't really help. It's clear that she has an understanding of what to do and she gave you her attempt... Going over simple rules won't help if she doesn't know where she went wrong.

1. How do you solve for t in the equation 0 = vt-1/2at^2?

To solve for t in this equation, you can use the quadratic formula t = (-b ± √(b^2-4ac)) / 2a, where a = -1/2a, b = v, and c = 0. By plugging in the values and simplifying, you can find the two possible values for t.

2. Why does the equation 0 = vt-1/2at^2 represent motion under constant acceleration?

This equation represents motion under constant acceleration because it is derived from the kinematic equation xf = xi + vit + 1/2at^2, where a is the constant acceleration. By setting xf to 0 and solving for t, we get the equation 0 = vt-1/2at^2. This shows that the object's displacement is 0 at time t, which is a characteristic of motion under constant acceleration.

3. How is the equation 0 = vt-1/2at^2 used in real-life applications?

This equation is commonly used in physics and engineering to solve for time in scenarios involving motion under constant acceleration, such as free-falling objects or projectiles. It can also be used to calculate the time it takes for a car to come to a complete stop when braking.

4. Can this equation be used for motion with non-constant acceleration?

No, this equation is specifically for motion under constant acceleration. For non-constant acceleration, other equations such as the SUVAT equations or calculus methods would need to be used to calculate the time t.

5. How can I check my answer when solving for t in 0 = vt-1/2at^2?

You can check your answer by plugging the calculated value of t back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the equation. In addition, you can also use a graphing calculator to plot the equation and visually confirm that the point of intersection with the x-axis is at the calculated value of t.