1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rebound height of a ball

1. Dec 11, 2014 #1
    If I have the velocity an object is moving up (lets make it v here), and the mass (m), how do I calculate the height it bounces to, and by using the efficiency of the ball 60% and gravity as 10 (for simplicity), how do i calculate the original height? Assume there is no wind resistance.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2014 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Hi, Radio.
    Is this a homework question? If so, it's in the wrong section. Anyhow, there is not enough information given to solve the problem. For one thing, how do you expect a ball that's already moving upward to "bounce"? Off of the ceiling? Off of a wall? Off of a tennis racquet? What do you mean by the "efficiency" of the ball? Gravity is 10 what? That's not even a form in which gravity can be expressed (unless you mean 10xEarth gravity).

4. Feb 21, 2016 #3
    what is a suitable hypothesis for the height of rebound of a tennis ball

5. Feb 21, 2016 #4
    Need more information to solve. I assume coefficient of restitution is 0.6. I also don't understand gravity is 10.

6. Feb 23, 2016 #5
    10 ms-2? If you assume velocity is v at h=0 there is enough information to calculate height using either equations of motion or energy conservation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook