Recent NOVA on Flint and Its Poisoned Water

• News
  • Thread starter jedishrfu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, the documentary outlines the events of the Flint water crisis along with the science that uncovered the truth. Charges against 3 people are only the beginning of a lengthy and exhaustive probe. The main article in Significance discusses the broken system that exposes millions of rural Americans to poisoned or untested water.
This NOVA documentary outlines the events of the Flint water crisis along with the science that uncovered the truth:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/body/poisoned-water.html

It also gets into how the science, the citizens of Flint and the scientists were repeatedly attacked and discounted by the state despite the mounting evidence.

Likes Greg Bernhardt, StatGuy2000 and OmCheeto
Physics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
This NOVA documentary outlines the events of the Flint water crisis along with the science that uncovered the truth:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/body/poisoned-water.html

It also gets into how the science, the citizens of Flint and the scientists were repeatedly attacked and discounted by the state despite the mounting evidence.

I was kind of disappointed that the documentary didn't say whether or not anyone went to jail. It sure strikes me as a crime.
But a quick googling points out that justice may yet be served:

Charges against 3 in Flint water crisis 'only the beginning' [CNN]
Updated April 20, 2016
State Attorney General Bill Schuette told reporters that the charges "are only the beginning" of a lengthy and exhaustive probe.
5 Charged With Involuntary Manslaughter in Flint Water Crisis [N.Y.Times]
JUNE 14, 2017
I guess they're lucky they don't live in China:

China executes two for tainted milk scandal [The Guardian]
24 November 2009
China executed a dairy farmer and a milk salesman today for their role in a tainted infant formula scandal in which at least six children died and 300,000 were made ill, state media said.

As a companion piece to the NOVA documentary, there was an article in Significance (a statistics magazine for general audiences, published by the Royal Statistical Society) which discussed the Flint water crisis and the role that statistical analysis played in exposing it.

Unfortunately, the main article is behind a pay wall -- I receive the magazine complementary as a member of the American Statistical Association (ASA) -- but I do have a link to an introduction to the discussion:

https://www.significancemagazine.co...he-hunt-for-exoplanets?highlight=WyJmbGludCJd

Likes WWGD and jedishrfu
So shameful! My cities water is supposed to be some of the best in the country, yet after Flint, I went out and got a water filter!

Likes russ_watters

1. What caused the water crisis in Flint?

The water crisis in Flint was caused by a decision made in 2014 by city officials to switch the city's water supply from Lake Huron to the Flint River. This decision was made without proper corrosion control measures, leading to lead and other contaminants leaching into the water supply.

2. How many people were affected by the poisoned water in Flint?

It is estimated that around 100,000 residents of Flint were exposed to high levels of lead in their drinking water. This includes children, who are particularly vulnerable to the effects of lead poisoning.

3. What were the health effects of the poisoned water in Flint?

The health effects of the poisoned water in Flint were significant. Lead exposure can cause developmental delays, learning disabilities, and other serious health problems. Other contaminants in the water, such as bacteria and chemicals, also posed health risks to residents.

4. How was the water crisis in Flint resolved?

The water crisis in Flint was resolved through a series of measures, including switching back to Lake Huron as the city's water source, implementing corrosion control measures, and replacing lead service lines. However, the effects of this crisis will continue to be felt for years to come, and many residents are still dealing with the aftermath.

5. What lessons can be learned from the water crisis in Flint?

The water crisis in Flint serves as a cautionary tale about the importance of proper infrastructure and the potential consequences of cutting corners. It also highlights the need for government accountability and transparency in addressing and preventing environmental disasters. Additionally, it underscores the importance of protecting public health and the environment in all decision-making processes.