Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Recent NOVA on Flint and Its Poisoned Water

1. Jun 16, 2017 #1

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

This NOVA documentary outlines the events of the Flint water crisis along with the science that uncovered the truth:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/body/poisoned-water.html

It also gets into how the science, the citizens of Flint and the scientists were repeatedly attacked and discounted by the state despite the mounting evidence.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2017 #2

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I was kind of disappointed that the documentary didn't say whether or not anyone went to jail. It sure strikes me as a crime.
    But a quick googling points out that justice may yet be served:

Charges against 3 in Flint water crisis 'only the beginning' [CNN]
    Updated April 20, 2016
    State Attorney General Bill Schuette told reporters that the charges "are only the beginning" of a lengthy and exhaustive probe.
    5 Charged With Involuntary Manslaughter in Flint Water Crisis [N.Y.Times]
    JUNE 14, 2017
    I guess they're lucky they don't live in China:

China executes two for tainted milk scandal [The Guardian]
    24 November 2009
    China executed a dairy farmer and a milk salesman today for their role in a tainted infant formula scandal in which at least six children died and 300,000 were made ill, state media said.

4. Jun 19, 2017 #3

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

As a companion piece to the NOVA documentary, there was an article in Significance (a statistics magazine for general audiences, published by the Royal Statistical Society) which discussed the Flint water crisis and the role that statistical analysis played in exposing it.

Unfortunately, the main article is behind a pay wall -- I receive the magazine complementary as a member of the American Statistical Association (ASA) -- but I do have a link to an introduction to the discussion:

https://www.significancemagazine.co...he-hunt-for-exoplanets?highlight=WyJmbGludCJd

5. Jun 23, 2017 #4
    So shameful! My cities water is supposed to be some of the best in the country, yet after Flint, I went out and got a water filter!

6. Jun 23, 2017 #5

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted