Recommend a Rigorous Calculus Book

In summary, the speaker is seeking a calculus text with a combination of rigor and problems that force thorough examination from different angles. They are unsure of what specific text would fit this criteria and are open to suggestions. The speaker also mentions that they prefer Rudin's "Baby Rudin" as a literary classic, but may not be the easiest learning tool. They also mention their own mathematical background and ask for clarification on what the purpose of the desired text is.
Sorgen
I have an undergraduate degree in Mathematics from a Big 10 university. Right now I am looking for a Calculus text that would aid me in approaching philosophy and literature text.

Mostly what I'm looking for is a combination of Rigor (strictness in definitions and such) and problems that force you to examine them thoroughly from every angle.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorgen said:
I have an undergraduate degree in Mathematics from a Big 10 university. Right now I am looking for a Calculus text that would aid me in approaching philosophy and literature text.

Mostly what I'm looking for is a combination of Rigor (strictness in definitions and such) and problems that force you to examine them thoroughly from every angle.

Thanks!
Calculus and rigor do not belong together. Baby Rudin should suffice for all your calculus needs. It has problems that require a deal of ingenuity that even Rudin admits in the preface. I think that qualifies for your examining thoroughly from every angle. I will tell you this, if you understand everything from baby Rudin, and do all the exercises you will probably not need a calculus text. I do not think there is anything of merit in a calculus book that is not in baby rudin. In my opinion, Rudin is the perfect literature, but perhaps not the easiest learning tool. If you want an actual real analysis text though, baby rudin is too easy and won't give you what you want. This text is a classic in the mathematical literature, and will make you appreciate conciseness. I personally prefer it over verty's suggestion of Bourbaki. I'm not sure what Bourbaki text you are recommending, since Bourbaki failed to even reach it's goal of proving Stoke's Theorem. I think the suggestion of Real Analysis by Folland is too abstracted away from calculus to be suggested. This all depends on what you want the text for. Do you want an actual real analysis book? Or do you want a book that holds your hand? Any calculus text is just a dumbed down version of parts of analysis. So, I would not recommend any calculus text if you actually want rigor. Here's what we need to know: what is your mathematical background? I know you said you have a mathematical degree in math, so you must have learned some analysis (I assume). Have you had any courses in real analysis? Have you learned measure theory? etc...

What does "calculus approaching a philosophy and literature text" mean exactly? I hoped it meant "laying out the facts in a very coherent and justified way". But it is very confusing.

I understand the importance of rigor in approaching any subject, including philosophy and literature. With that in mind, I would highly recommend "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart. This textbook is widely used in universities and is known for its rigorous approach to calculus. It covers all the fundamental concepts of calculus, including limits, derivatives, and integrals, in a clear and precise manner.

Additionally, the book includes numerous challenging problems that require a thorough understanding of the material and encourage critical thinking and analysis. This will be beneficial in your approach to philosophy and literature texts, as it will train you to examine them from different perspectives and think critically about the ideas presented.

Furthermore, the book also includes real-world applications of calculus, which can help bridge the gap between mathematics and other fields of study. This will be particularly useful in your pursuit of philosophy and literature, as it will demonstrate the practical relevance of calculus in these areas.

Overall, "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart is a highly recommended textbook for its rigor and thorough approach to calculus. I believe it will be a valuable resource in your pursuit of integrating mathematics into your study of philosophy and literature. Good luck!

1. What makes a calculus book "rigorous"?

A rigorous calculus book is one that presents theorems and proofs in a logical and systematic manner, with a focus on precision and accuracy. It should also cover advanced topics and applications, challenging the reader to think critically and apply their knowledge.

2. Is it necessary to have a strong background in math to understand a rigorous calculus book?

Yes, a strong foundation in algebra, trigonometry, and pre-calculus is essential for understanding a rigorous calculus book. Without this background, it may be difficult to follow the complex concepts and proofs presented.

3. What are some popular rigorous calculus books?

Some popular rigorous calculus books include "Principles of Mathematical Analysis" by Walter Rudin, "Calculus" by Michael Spivak, and "Advanced Calculus" by Patrick Fitzpatrick.

4. How can I determine if a calculus book is rigorous?

One way to determine if a calculus book is rigorous is to look at the level of difficulty and the types of exercises and examples included. A rigorous calculus book will often have challenging problems and in-depth explanations of concepts.

5. Can a rigorous calculus book be useful for self-study?

Yes, a rigorous calculus book can be useful for self-study, but it may be more challenging without the guidance of a teacher or professor. It is important to have a strong understanding of prerequisite math topics and to actively engage with the material through practice problems and self-assessment.