Recommendation for a book on history of science

In summary: His short stories are good, but not as good. His novels are good, but not as good. In summary, I would recommend Isaac Asimov's non-fiction.
tom8
I am looking for a book on the history of science. I do not want one that is targeted to 'general public', in the sense that I want it to be more towards the academic community, i.e. more deeply presented and cited, etc. Are there any recommendations?

Physics news on Phys.org
Does it have to be science, or are you also ok with mathematics?

Likes tom8
Both are fine. Apparently it is hard to separate them, for example Newton was both physicist and mathematician (at least from contribution point of view).

tom8 said:
I am looking for a book on the history of science. I do not want one that is targeted to 'general public', in the sense that I want it to be more towards the academic community, i.e. more deeply presented and cited, etc. Are there any recommendations?
If that's the case, are you interested in the history of one particular science, or what? You should be as specific as possible here, not only because of the breadth of scientific inquiry, but because the history part covers a couple thousand years for some sciences.

If you want to cover the whole of science with an academic reference, then you're not looking for a single book, but an encyclopedia.

Likes wabbit
Right. I am looking for 'only' the past couple hundred years. As to what field, I am considering Physical Sciences mainly (i.e. excluding medicine). I would expect that, at least before the beginning of the last century, there was only 'physics' and 'math' to large extent.

tom8 said:
Right. I am looking for 'only' the past couple hundred years. As to what field, I am considering Physical Sciences mainly (i.e. excluding medicine). I would expect that, at least before the beginning of the last century, there was only 'physics' and 'math' to large extent.
I think you are overlooking quite a bit.

Chemistry came on very strong during the 19th century, particularly with the development of organic chemistry, not to mention the discovery and isolation of various chemical elements. It's interesting how alchemy morphed gradually into scientific chemistry during the eighteenth century, and several important discoveries were made by earlier alchemists. (It's not generally realized, but Newton himself spent quite a bit of his free time dabbling with alchemy.)

Astronomy and observation of the heavens are a couple of the oldest sciences, dating back to the Babylonians a couple thousand years ago.

when i have read histories of math say, they were much too condensed to follow well. so I prefer myself to read a historical scientific source work rather than a summary. so i enjoyed Einstein's papers, but often ones aimed at the general public as well as papers by other early 20th century physicists. I especially enjoyed the book A non mathematical survey of quanta, by Louis de Broglie. I also recommend Euclid, for the best possible historical source of much of modern mathematics, as well as Gauss's Disquisitiones Arithmeticae. and maybe Newton's Principia, also Euler's works on algebra and analysis. I also liked Georg Cantor's little book on transfinite numbers. I guess I am recommending you read the works that would be cited in a history of science, rather the history itself, since those earlier works are written by the masters.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71 and atyy
tom8 said:
Philipp Frank, "Philosophy of Science".

What is the best book to read about the history of science?

The best book to read about the history of science is highly subjective and depends on personal interests and preferences. Some popular books on this topic include "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson, "The Structure of Scientific Revolutions" by Thomas Kuhn, and "The Age of Wonder" by Richard Holmes.

Are there any books specifically focused on the history of a certain scientific field?

Yes, there are many books that focus on the history of specific scientific fields such as biology, physics, chemistry, and astronomy. Some examples include "The Making of the Atomic Bomb" by Richard Rhodes, "The Double Helix" by James D. Watson, and "The Invention of Nature" by Andrea Wulf.

Can you recommend a book that covers both ancient and modern advancements in science?

Yes, "The History of Science: A Very Short Introduction" by John Gribbin covers the entire history of science from ancient civilizations to modern day. It provides a concise overview of key scientific discoveries and their impact on society.

Are there any books that explore the social and cultural aspects of science?

Yes, "The Social History of Science" by Steven Shapin and "Science and Civilisation in China" by Joseph Needham are both highly regarded books that examine the social and cultural contexts in which scientific ideas emerged and developed.

Is there a book that offers a global perspective on the history of science?

Yes, "A History of Science in World Cultures" by Scott L. Montgomery and Alok Kumar offers a comprehensive and inclusive look at the history of science from a global perspective, highlighting the contributions of non-Western cultures to scientific advancement.