Recommendation for Chemistry textbooks

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a good book on Physical Chemistry at the 11-12 grade level, specifically covering topics about bonding (VSEPR, VBT, MO). Suggestions are provided for books on organic, physical, and inorganic chemistry, with JD Lee being highly recommended as the "bible" of inorganic chemistry and thoroughly explaining the concepts of chemical bonding. The conversation also touches on the purpose and content of JD Lee's book.
Yashbhatt
I want a good book on Physical Chemistry at 11-12(university or pre-un) grade level. It should include topics about bonding(VSEPR, VBT, MO) etc.

I also need suggestions about some books on organic and inorganic chemistry.

Physics news on Phys.org
proton007007 said:
For Organic Chemistry
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0136436692/?tag=pfamazon01-20

For Physical Chemistry
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1429218126/?tag=pfamazon01-20

For Inorganic Chemistry
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0632052937/?tag=pfamazon01-20
JD Lee is often referred to as bible of inorganic chemistry

the concepts of chemical bonding is thoroughly explained in JD Lee

proton007007

Thanks. Is JD Lee for inorganic or physical? Because bonding is under physical I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemical Bonding comes under Physical Chemistry in the syllabus of most engineering enterance exams . But its the core foundation of inorganic chemistry . JDLee is for inorganic . Are you preparing for the JEE ?

I understand the idea of the first 8 chapters of Lee (except chapter 7), but what is going on with the rest of the chapters? Is it a laundry list of facts you have to memorize for elements of the periodic table? What is the point? Is it for industry or something like that? I mean QM is about building a theoretical framework then solving problems and working out the consequences of those solutions and stuff, what's going on here?

proton007007 said:
Chemical Bonding comes under Physical Chemistry in the syllabus of most engineering enterance exams . But its the core foundation of inorganic chemistry . JDLee is for inorganic . Are you preparing for the JEE ?

Not exactly. I want to give it but this is not for preparation. This is because I wish to understand physical chemistry well.

Likes proton007007

1. What are the best chemistry textbooks for beginners?

Some popular chemistry textbooks for beginners include "Chemistry: The Central Science" by Brown, LeMay, Bursten, and Murphy, "General Chemistry" by Petrucci, Harwood, Herring, and Madura, and "Chemistry" by Zumdahl and Zumdahl.

2. Are there any chemistry textbooks specifically for high school students?

Yes, there are many chemistry textbooks designed for high school students, such as "Chemistry: Concepts and Applications" by Glencoe, "Chemistry: Matter and Change" by McGraw-Hill, and "Chemistry: The Molecular Nature of Matter and Change" by Martin Silberberg.

3. What is the most comprehensive chemistry textbook?

Many consider "Organic Chemistry" by Clayden, Greeves, Warren, and Wothers to be the most comprehensive chemistry textbook. It covers all major areas of organic chemistry in-depth and is commonly used in undergraduate courses.

4. Are there any online resources to supplement chemistry textbooks?

Yes, there are many online resources that can supplement chemistry textbooks, such as Khan Academy, Chemguide, and ChemSpider. These websites offer videos, practice problems, and other learning materials to help students better understand and apply the concepts in their textbook.

5. What are the current trends in chemistry textbooks?

Some current trends in chemistry textbooks include incorporating more technology, such as online resources and interactive simulations, to enhance learning. There is also a focus on making the material more accessible and engaging for students through the use of real-world examples and applications.