Recommended popular textbooks for physics and math?

In summary: I would recommend studying the "gold standard" textbooks first, then working your way towards more specialized texts. I would recommend studying mathematics first, then physics, and finally, doing some more mathematics.
Ishida52134
Can anyone give a list of the best/most comprehensive physics textbooks for each area of physics for someone just learning it? Would it be more useful/straightforward to just use the landau series?
And is there a list of classic/popular math textbooks as well? For topics like analysis, differential geometry, topology, etc. Like the way there are more widely used textbooks in physics like griffiths, jackson, etc.

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
​The following are on my reading list:

•Mechanics (Marion & Thornton, Landau, Goldstein)
•Dynamics (Kane)
•Electricity and Magnetism (Griffiths, Landau, Jackson)
•Optics (Hecht)
•Quantum Mechanics (Griffiths, Landau, Shankar)
•Quantum Electrodynamics (Griffiths, Landau, Weinberg)
•Statistical Physics Part I (Landau)
•Fluid Mechanics (Landau)
•Theory of Elasticity (Landau)
•Relativity (McMahon & Alsing, Wald, Misner & Thorne & Wheeler)
•Electrodynamics of Continuous Media (Landau)
•Statistical Physics, Part II (Landau)
•Physical Kinetics (Landau)
•Quantum Chromodynamics (Greiner, et. al.)
•Nuclear Physics (Krane)
•Electroweak Theory (Paschos)

As you can see, I'm planning to supplement Landau. I think Landau might be a bit challenging for an intro, for some of the topics.

thanks a lot. are there any recommendations for math books.

I agree with some of those. For someone just learning topics the standard undergrad books are reasonable: Griffiths for EM, Marion and Thornton or Taylor for mechanics, Schroeder for thermal physics. I'm not a quantum guy so I will refrain.

I would say Landau is definitely too challenging for most folks who are "just learning" like the OP. I used to have a copy of statistical physics I from Landau (got it for $1 at a sale!) and I gave it away because it was way to hard for me to learn the material from the first time. It seems best for folks who have already learned grad stat mech at the level of Pathria (like the fellow I gave the book to). I ended up learning from Reif since that was the book the undergrad physics class that I sat in on was based upon - I did a bunch of the problems and it was reasonable. Today I would recommend Schroeder for someone learning thermal physics for the first time.

Likewise for fluids, I find Landau to be a little on the hard side for most of us would learn easily for the first time - not nearly as bad as the statistical physics book, though! Tritton's "physical fluid dynamics" comes to mind for an undergrad book - but Landau is a reasonable supplement along side it. Both books were required for the continuum course I took; I primarily looked at Tritton, to be honest.

As always, used copies (of old editions if possible) are what I would look for to save bundles of money. Most new books (Schroeder is one exception) are outrageously priced. The landau books are reasonably priced, so they have that going for them!

regards,

jaosn

Ishida52134 said:
thanks a lot. are there any recommendations for math books.

Sure. Here's my math reading list:

•Ordinary Differential Equations (Zill, supp. with Tenenbaum & Pollard)
•Geometry (Euclid (The Bones), Smart)
•Mathematical Statistics (Wackerly & Mendenhall & Schaeffer)
•Set Theory (Suppes)
•Mathematical Logic (Enderton)
•Introductory Real Analysis (Kirkwood, Rudin)
•Differential Geometry (Kreyzsig)
•Complex Analysis (Gamelin)
•Partial Differential Equations (Farlow)
•Ordinary Differential Equations (Coddington & Levinson)
•Topology (Crossley)
•Linear Algebra (Nicholson)
•Abstract Algebra (Herstein)
•Algebraic Topology (Hatcher)
•Complex Analysis (Berenstein & Gay)
•Real Analysis (Royden, Rudin)
•Functional Analysis (Kreyzsig, Rudin, Lax)
•Semigroup Theory (Engel & Nagel)
•Partial Differential Equations (Renardy & Rogers, Debnath)
•Group Theory and its Applications to Physical Problems (Hamermesh)
•Calculus of Variations and Optimal Control (Troutman)
•Tensor Calculus (Kay, Synge and Schild, Munkres)
•Integral Equations (Porter & Stirling)
•Abstract Algebra (Dummit & Foote)
•Mathematical Foundations of Quantum Mechanics (Mackay, Weyl, Cornwell)
•Mathematical Physics (Newton, Reed & Simon)
•Number Theory (Burton)
•Cryptography (Stinson)

are those mostly the "gold standard" textbooks used?
And also, is there any particular order I should study physics and math textbooks so I have the necessary prerequisites for the next book I read?

thanks a lot!

Last edited:

What criteria should I consider when choosing a popular textbook for physics and math?

There are several factors to consider when choosing a popular textbook for physics and math. Some important criteria include the author's expertise and credibility, the clarity and organization of the content, the level of difficulty, and the relevance to your specific course or learning goals.

What are some popular textbooks for introductory physics and math courses?

Some popular textbooks for introductory physics and math courses include "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by Stewart, and "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick. These textbooks are widely used in universities and are known for their comprehensive coverage and clear explanations.

Are there any highly recommended textbooks for advanced topics in physics and math?

Yes, there are many highly recommended textbooks for advanced topics in physics and math. Some examples include "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Boas, "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by Griffiths, and "Principles of Quantum Mechanics" by Shankar. These textbooks are known for their rigorous treatment of advanced concepts and their use in graduate-level courses.

Can I rely solely on popular textbooks for my physics and math studies?

While popular textbooks are a great resource for learning physics and math, it is important to supplement your studies with other materials such as lecture notes, practice problems, and online resources. Additionally, it is important to actively engage with the material and seek clarification from instructors or peers when needed.

Are there any open-source or free textbooks available for physics and math?

Yes, there are many open-source or free textbooks available for physics and math. Some examples include "OpenStax College Physics" and "OpenIntro Statistics". These textbooks are created and maintained by non-profit organizations and can be accessed online for free. However, it is important to evaluate the credibility and quality of these textbooks before using them as a primary learning resource.