Red Shift & Blue Shift: Explained

In summary, the conversation discusses the discovery of M31-V1 by Hubble and its significance in resolving the "island universe problem." It also touches on the issue of red-shift and blue-shift in relation to the Andromeda galaxy and the expansion of the universe. The conversation ends with a clarification regarding the roles of Hubble and Slipher in measuring velocities and distances of celestial objects.
dm4b
I apologize if this is a dumb question, or if I am not remembering things correctly, but ...

... wasn't one of the earliert objects (a Cepheid?) Hubble detected as red-shifted located within the Andromeda Galaxy? If so, and since we're on a "collision course" with the Andromeda, why didn't Hubble see this as a blue-shift?

As a follow on question ... on a more local scale, aren't the objects detected seen with a mix of red and blue shifts, since cosmic expansion (or the cosmological redshift) isn't quite enough yet to overcome all doppler shifts from local relative velocities? Then at a larger scale, when it is, the majority of objects are seen as redshifted?

Thanks!

Space news on Phys.org
Hubble discovery M31-V1 was the key to resolving the "island universe problem": Was the Milky Way synonymous with the universe, or did the universe comprise a bunch of "island universes" (now called galaxies)? It was Hubble's work on assessing distances that resolved the issue.

Hubble did not measure the velocities to those Cepheid variables. That was the work of Vesto M. Slipher. Hubble combined Slipher's velocity measurements with his own distance measurements to arrive at an initial version of Hubble's law. M31-V1 is coming towards us, so it's blue-shifted rather than red-shifted.

Likes 1 person
If it was it might be because the Andromeda galaxy is rotating and moving towards us quite slowly, so parts of it might show blue shift and parts red shift. Note that just because an object is moving towards you it doesn't necessarily mean it's on a "collision course". Think of Hayley's comet.

1) Do you have a source for this? I'm not sure, but there could potentially be a red-shift if the Cepheid were rotating away from us within the Andromeda galaxy as the galaxy as a whole was coming towards us. I don't know the relative speeds involved though, so I can't be sure.

2) Local galaxies will have (average) blue/red shifts based on local motions. You are correct in thinking that the expansion of the universe only takes over for a larger scale. Exactly at which point this happens I'm not sure, but certainly larger than our local group. Even the Virgo super cluster, which is ~30 megaparsecs in size is not uniformly moving away from us I don't think.

D H said:
Hubble discovery M31-V1 was the key to resolving the "island universe problem": Was the Milky Way synonymous with the universe, or did the universe comprise a bunch of "island universes" (now called galaxies)? It was Hubble's work on assessing distances that resolved the issue.

Hubble did not measure the velocities to those Cepheid variables. That was the work of Vesto M. Slipher. Hubble combined Slipher's velocity measurements with his own distance measurements to arrive at an initial version of Hubble's law. M31-V1 is coming towards us, so it's blue-shifted rather than red-shifted.

Thanks DH! That clears it up for me. The Cepheid gave a distance determination that cleared up the "island universe" thing. The red-shift, blue shift thing came later in the way one would expect. Got it! ;-)

1. What is the red shift and blue shift phenomenon?

Red shift and blue shift are phenomena observed in the light emitted by objects in space. Red shift occurs when the light appears to have longer wavelengths, shifting towards the red end of the spectrum, while blue shift occurs when the light appears to have shorter wavelengths, shifting towards the blue end of the spectrum.

2. What causes red shift and blue shift?

Red shift and blue shift are caused by the Doppler effect, which is the change in frequency of a wave as it moves towards or away from an observer. In the case of red shift, the object emitting the light is moving away from the observer, causing the wavelengths of the light to appear longer. In the case of blue shift, the object is moving towards the observer, causing the wavelengths to appear shorter.

3. How is red shift and blue shift used in astronomy?

Red shift and blue shift are important tools for astronomers to study the movement and distance of objects in space. By analyzing the amount of red or blue shift in the light emitted by an object, astronomers can determine its velocity and distance from Earth.

4. Is red shift always a sign of an object moving away?

No, red shift can also occur due to the expansion of the universe. As space expands, it causes the wavelengths of light to stretch, leading to red shift. This is known as cosmological red shift and is used to measure the rate of expansion of the universe.

5. Can red shift and blue shift be observed in objects on Earth?

Yes, red shift and blue shift can also occur in objects on Earth due to their movement. For example, the sound of an approaching siren will have a higher frequency, similar to blue shift, while the sound of a receding siren will have a lower frequency, similar to red shift.