Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reduce Amplifier Drift when load is near input impedance

1. Mar 8, 2016 #1
    I built a voltage amplifier based on the AD625 instrumentation amplifier. This chip has a 1 G-Ohm input impedance.

When the load has a resistance of 100 kOhm, output drift is negligible.
    When the load has a resistance of 100 MOhm, output drift is significant and not acceptable.

Are there any post hoc tricks to limit the drift of the output? tricks with ground loops or something? thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2016 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why would you want such a high load resistance?

4. Mar 9, 2016 #3
    Thats the lowest resistance of the samples I characterize. It is set by physical limits and we cant reduce it. Other samples have 10 Gohm or higher resistance.

5. Mar 9, 2016 #4

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you confusing source and load impedance? The load is what the amplifier drives.

6. Mar 9, 2016 #5
    I must have my terminology wrong!
    The sample resistance must be the source. it is the resistance between the V+ and V- inputs of the amplifier. The load resistance should be negligible as this output voltage goes to a data acquisition system.

How can i reduce the drift of the output of the voltage amplifier when the source resistance is close to the input impedance of the amplfier?

7. Mar 9, 2016 #6

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

8. Mar 9, 2016 #7

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Without knowing your application in detail, it is difficult to say where this "drift" is coming from--possibly out of the air, given your high source impedance. Instrumentation amplifiers have extensive features to eliminate stray field pickup and common-mode pickup, but they must be implemented properly. Be sure to read Analog Devices's application notes carefully, not just the data sheet. AN-244 will get you started. Shield your source in a Faraday shield; pay close attention to cabling and connection topologies, cable shields, how grounds are routed, and proper power supply practice to avoid ground loops there. That's the best one can offer without sitting in your lab.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  9. Mar 10, 2016 #8

Baluncore

Science Advisor

You should consider using an “Electrometer Amplifier” as a unity gain buffer before the AD625 IA.
    EAs have an input bias current measured in fA. Consider also the ADA4530-1

As suggested by Jim Hardy, the output should be used to guard the input. The shield or screen on any input cable used should also be driven as a guard. It is often a benefit to lift the input pin from the PCB to eliminate surface contamination currents.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted