Reduce Power Source Sensitivity

In summary: Also, if you could indicate the power requirements of each component, that would be much appreciated.I am currently designing an electronic circuit to detect fluctuations of the geomagnetic field in response to solar activity. One problem I am anticipating however is an over sensitive power source which will respond to thermal fluctuations in the holding room (can’t control room temperature) etc. A method I have considered to correct this is to use a bridge circuit and by controlling the resistor component ratios simply, consequently maintain a consistent power input.Any opinion on this potential method or a more effective one would be greatly appreciated.I am currently designing an electronic circuit to detect fluctuations of the geomagnetic field in response
Calum92
I am currently designing an electronic circuit to detect fluctuations of the geomagnetic field in response to solar activity.

One problem I am anticipating however is an over sensitive power source which will respond to thermal fluctuations in the holding room (can’t control room temperature) etc.

A method I have considered to correct this is to use a bridge circuit and by controlling the resistor component ratios simply, consequently maintain a consistent power input.

Any opinion on this potential method or a more effective one would be greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Calum92 said:
I am currently designing an electronic circuit to detect fluctuations of the geomagnetic field in response to solar activity.

One problem I am anticipating however is an over sensitive power source which will respond to thermal fluctuations in the holding room (can’t control room temperature) etc.

A method I have considered to correct this is to use a bridge circuit and by controlling the resistor component ratios simply, consequently maintain a consistent power input.

Any opinion on this potential method or a more effective one would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the PF.

Can you say more about your power source? What are the input and output voltages, and what is the range of the output current? What is the variation in the output current versus frequency? Is it a very steady output current?

To get an ultra-stable output voltage, you would typically use a linear voltage regulator with good output bypass capacitors. If needed, you could put the regulator in a temperature-controlled enclosure as well.

Calum92 said:

Hi Calum. In situations like this you generally have two options. One is to try to improve the power supply stability, the other is to try to make your design more resistant to power supply variations.

We need to know a little bit more about your detector and associated instrumentation amplifiers before we can assess what options you have for increasing the PSRR (power supply rejection ratio) if this turns out to be a problem.

[
Circuit Setup.jpg

Hello, thank you for your valued feedback. Unfortunately I don't have much information noted down concerning the power supply but I do believe the power input ranges from -12V to 12V if memory serves correct.

I have attached a shematic description of the current circuit plan (excuse the messiness) if that is of any help. My apologies I won't be back in the lab till next Tuesday when I will hopefully be able to update both of you with more details of the power supply.

Calum92 said:
[View attachment 66157

Hello, thank you for your valued feedback. Unfortunately I don't have much information noted down concerning the power supply but I do believe the power input ranges from -12V to 12V if memory serves correct.

I have attached a shematic description of the current circuit plan (excuse the messiness) if that is of any help. My apologies I won't be back in the lab till next Tuesday when I will hopefully be able to update both of you with more details of the power supply.

Why is the input opto-isolated? (Even though the input light source shares the same ground as the measuring circuit...)

Calum92 said:
[View attachment 66157
My apologies I won't be back in the lab till next Tuesday when I will hopefully be able to update both of you with more details of the power supply.
Don't worry too much about the power supply a this stage. What we want to see is how well your design rejects power supply variations. Unfortunately I can't discern which is the transducer and first amplification stage (of transducer output) from the circuit diagram shown.

Can you please explain exactly what transducers you are using and what first stage the transducer signals are feeding in to.

Question 1: What is power source sensitivity?

Power source sensitivity is the degree to which a power source, such as a battery or generator, is affected by external factors such as temperature, humidity, and vibrations. This sensitivity can impact the performance and lifespan of the power source.

Question 2: Why is it important to reduce power source sensitivity?

Reducing power source sensitivity is important because it can improve the reliability and stability of the power source. When a power source is less sensitive to external factors, it is less likely to fail or experience fluctuations in power output. This is especially crucial in critical applications, such as in medical devices or aerospace technology.

Question 3: How can power source sensitivity be reduced?

There are several methods for reducing power source sensitivity, including using high-quality components, implementing shielding or insulation, and optimizing the design and placement of the power source. In some cases, specialized coatings or materials can also be used to minimize sensitivity.

Question 4: What are the benefits of reducing power source sensitivity?

By reducing power source sensitivity, the overall performance and efficiency of the system using the power source can be improved. This can lead to cost savings, increased reliability, and longer lifespan of the power source. It can also minimize the need for maintenance or replacement of the power source.

Question 5: Are there any potential drawbacks to reducing power source sensitivity?

While reducing power source sensitivity can have many benefits, there are also potential drawbacks to consider. It may increase the complexity or cost of the system, and in some cases, it may not be possible to completely eliminate sensitivity. Additionally, reducing sensitivity may also limit the range of environmental conditions in which the power source can operate effectively.