1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reducing uncertainty

1. May 11, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How would you reduce uncertainty when measuring the density of a material

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm guessing you have to reduce the uncertainty in the mass and volume of the material

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2015 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well, that sure seems like a pretty good guess, since that's what density is calculated from, but HOW do you reduce the uncertainty of either measurement? That's really the question.

4. May 11, 2015 #3
    wouldn't you just use a material with greater mass, ,but lower volume, i.e giving a greater measurement for density.
    % uncertainty = uncertainty/measurement * 100

so if the measurement is greater, won't the % uncertainty be less

5. May 11, 2015 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

How do you propose that lowering the volume will improve the calculation's uncertainty?

Changing material is cheating. Stick to one problem at a time.

6. May 11, 2015 #5
    as we are calculating density, if we have a lower volume, we will have greater density. Greater measurements have less uncertainty.
    I have no idea

7. May 11, 2015 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Surely you are trying to measure the density of a given substance. If you have a lower volume the mass will be less. The density won't change.
    It might help if you explain exactly what method you use for determining the density.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted