Reduction of magnetic repulsion

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of N50 ring magnets as an alternative to a coil spring, and the potential effect of using a steel rod versus a non-ferrous material as a guide for the magnets. The speaker also requests a drawing to better understand the configuration and purpose of the magnets.
Skeet_man
Hope I'm in the right spot, google searches lead me here.

I am working with a couple N50 ring magnets which are axially magnetized, as an alternative to a coil spring. They are going around a steel rod which acts as the guide, and is an integral part of the complete assembly.

My question is, since the magnets will have some attraction to the steel, will their force of repulsion against each other be less than if I replaced the steel rod with a non-ferrous material? What lead me to ask is that I notice that the resting position of both magnets is closer when they are on the steel rod than if I substitute a piece of aluminum as a guide.

Physics news on Phys.org
Skeet_man said:
Hope I'm in the right spot, google searches lead me here.

I am working with a couple N50 ring magnets which are axially magnetized, as an alternative to a coil spring. They are going around a steel rod which acts as the guide, and is an integral part of the complete assembly.

My question is, since the magnets will have some attraction to the steel, will their force of repulsion against each other be less than if I replaced the steel rod with a non-ferrous material? What lead me to ask is that I notice that the resting position of both magnets is closer when they are on the steel rod than if I substitute a piece of aluminum as a guide.
Welcome to PF. Can you provide a drawing of this? I am having trouble picturing the configuration and it is not clear what you are trying to do with this.

AM

What is magnetic repulsion?

Magnetic repulsion is a phenomenon where two magnets with the same polarity (north or south) push away from each other.

Why is reducing magnetic repulsion important?

Reducing magnetic repulsion is important because it can affect the performance of electronic devices and machinery. It can also cause instability and damage to certain materials.

How can magnetic repulsion be reduced?

Magnetic repulsion can be reduced by using materials with lower magnetic permeability, increasing the distance between magnets, or using a shielding material.

What are some common materials used to reduce magnetic repulsion?

Some common materials used to reduce magnetic repulsion include mu-metal, ferrite, and soft iron.

Are there any negative consequences to reducing magnetic repulsion?

Yes, reducing magnetic repulsion can also decrease the overall strength of the magnets, which may affect their intended function. It is important to find a balance between reducing magnetic repulsion and maintaining the desired magnetic strength.