Reference framefrom masteringphysics

In summary, a reference frame in masteringphysics is a set of axes used to measure the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects in a system. It can be changed by clicking on the "Change Reference Frames" button and is important for accurately analyzing and comparing the motion of objects. Custom reference frames cannot be created, but a variety of pre-defined options are available. Calculations in masteringphysics can be checked by comparing them to expected results and using the provided graphs and data.
xyoonboixkpx
This is the only problem taht i could not figure out for 2 hours...
I even asked one of my friend who got 5 on his ap exam about this problem..he said no no to this question..anybody willin to help?

.Susan, driving north at 60 mph, and Shawn, driving east at 45 mph, are approaching an intersection

Q: What is Shawn's speed relative to Susan's reference frame?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try this:
[tex]\vec{v}_{(Shawn/Susan)} = \vec{v}_{(Shawn/Ground)} + \vec{v}_{(Ground/Susan)} = \vec{v}_{(Shawn/Ground)} - \vec{v}_{(Susan/Ground)}[/tex]

Hint: Write the vectors in component form.

thanks for da help

1. What is a reference frame in masteringphysics?

A reference frame in masteringphysics is a set of axes that are used to measure the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects in a particular system. It is used as a point of comparison for other objects in the system.

2. How do I change the reference frame in masteringphysics?

You can change the reference frame in masteringphysics by clicking on the "Change Reference Frames" button in the upper right corner of the screen. This will bring up a menu where you can select a new reference frame from a list of options.

3. Why is understanding reference frames important in masteringphysics?

Understanding reference frames is important in masteringphysics because it allows you to accurately analyze and compare the motion of objects in a system. It also helps you to identify the forces and interactions that are affecting the objects.

4. Can I create my own custom reference frame in masteringphysics?

No, you cannot create your own custom reference frame in masteringphysics. However, you can choose from a wide range of pre-defined reference frames that are commonly used in physics.

5. How can I check if my calculations in masteringphysics are correct with the chosen reference frame?

You can check your calculations in masteringphysics by comparing them to the expected results in the reference frame you have chosen. You can also use the graphs and data provided in the system to verify your calculations.