Refresh my memory , Inverse Trig

In summary: Of course you are! The sine of -45º or -pi/4 radians (which is approximately -0.785398... radians) gives you -1/sqrt(2) = -[sqrt(2)]/2 = -0.70710678... ,so taking the arcsine of (-0.70710678...) should give you mediate -0.785398...
rocomath
Refresh my memory please, Inverse Trig

[tex]x=\sin^{-1}\left(-\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}\right)[/tex]

Inverse sine is defined from [tex]-\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex] to [tex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex] which lies in the 1st and 4th quadrant.

So [tex]x=-\frac{\pi}{4}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
rocomath said:
[tex]x=\sin^{-1}\left(-\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}\right)[/tex]

Inverse sine is defined from [tex]-\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex] to [tex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex] which lies in the 1st and 4th quadrant.

So [tex]x=-\frac{\pi}{4}[/tex]

Correct -- and your calculator and mine will back you up on that...

dynamicsolo said:
Correct -- and your calculator and mine will back you up on that...
That's the thing, it gives me different answers. (in radians)

[tex]\sin^{-1}\left(-\frac{1}{\sqrt 2}\right)\approx -0.785[/tex]

[tex]\sin\left(-\frac{\pi}{4}\right)\approx -0.707[/tex]

Those aren't different answers. -pi / 4 is -0.785 and -1/ root 2 is -0.707.

The inverse sin of the ratio will give you the angle, the sin of the angle will give you the ratio.

rocomath said:
That's the thing, it gives me different answers. (in radians)

[tex]\sin^{-1}\left(-\frac{1}{\sqrt 2}\right)\approx -0.785[/tex]

[tex]\sin\left(-\frac{\pi}{4}\right)\approx -0.707[/tex]

And -45º converted to radians is? (In other words, what's [tex]\frac{-\pi}{4}[/tex]?)

[I expect we're going to hear a "D'oh!" in 3, 2, 1, ...]

Last edited:
dynamicsolo said:
And -45º converted to radians is? (In other words, what's [tex]\frac{-\pi}{4}[/tex]?)

[I expect we're going to hear a "D'oh!" in 3, 2, 1, ...]
LOL, I know that ... but what's with the calculator? Am I putting it in right?

rocomath said:
LOL, I know that ... but what's with the calculator? Am I putting it in right?

Of course you are! The sine of -45º or -pi/4 radians (which is approximately -0.785398... radians) gives you -1/sqrt(2) =
-[sqrt(2)]/2 = -0.70710678... ,
so taking the arcsine of (-0.70710678...) should give you

I guess we're puzzled why you're puzzled. There's no reason you should get the same number in both directions. The magnitude of arcsin(x) doesn't match the magnitude of sin(x) at x = (pi)/4 ...

LMAO ... omg, I crack myself up :)

1. What is meant by "refresh my memory" in the context of inverse trigonometry?

"Refresh my memory" refers to the act of reviewing or reminding oneself of previously learned information or concepts. In inverse trigonometry, this phrase can be used to indicate a need to review or recall the properties, formulas, and methods used to solve problems involving inverse trigonometric functions.

2. Why is it important to understand inverse trigonometric functions?

Inverse trigonometric functions are important because they allow us to find the angle or angles that produce a given trigonometric ratio. They are also useful in solving real-world problems involving triangles, such as finding the height of a building or the distance between two points.

3. What are the commonly used inverse trigonometric functions?

The commonly used inverse trigonometric functions are arcsine (sin-1), arccosine (cos-1), and arctangent (tan-1). These functions are the inverse of the sine, cosine, and tangent functions, respectively.

4. How do you find the value of an inverse trigonometric function?

To find the value of an inverse trigonometric function, you can use a calculator or a trigonometric table. Alternatively, you can use algebraic techniques to solve equations involving inverse trigonometric functions, such as isolating the variable and taking the inverse trigonometric function of both sides of the equation.

5. What are some common properties of inverse trigonometric functions?

Some common properties of inverse trigonometric functions include their domain, range, and periodicity. For example, the domain of the arcsine function is [-1,1] and its range is [-π/2,π/2]. Also, the inverse trigonometric functions are all periodic with a period of 2π, meaning that their values repeat every 2π units.