Wheel calculations (Power, torque, etc.)

In summary, the problem involves two shafts with two wheels per shaft, each wheel being 60 mm in diameter and coated with rubber. The system is providing a constant horizontal velocity of 0.15 m/s with a power consumption of 200W. The torque in each wheel is calculated to be 40 Nm and is divided among the four wheels. The thrust force equals the frictional forces and in practical situations, the frictional force may be lower than the maximum friction force of μ*N.
Jared94
Hi there, I've forgotten how to solve these problems, eg:

If I've got two shafts, two wheels per shaft meaning four wheels in total, each wheel is 60 mm in diameter, and the power consumed by the system in providing a constant horizontal velocity of 0.15 m/s is 200W, what is the torque in each wheel? The wheels are rubber coated, and the wheels are acting upon a steel surface (take coefficient of friction to be 0.7).

This is how I've solved the problem:
Power = Torque x angular velocity
w = v / r = 0.15 / 0.030 = 5 rad/s

Torque = P / w = 200 / 5 = 40 Nm
Now since there are 4 wheels (instead of just 1 wheel) AND two shafts with two wheels in each shaft, how do I interpret this torque of 40 Nm? Is the force per wheel just force = Power / velocity or is this force divided amonst the 4 wheels?

With the friction, since the system is moving at a constant speed of 0.15 m/s, will the thrust force equal the frictional forces? The force here doesn't equal the force calculated via the torque of 40 Nm, is this because of a transmission efficiency?

Thanks in advance, really annoying how I still haven't grasped these basic concepts (I'm studying Mechatronics engineering at uni)

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the force is divided amonst the 4 wheels. Yes, the thrust force equals the frictional forces. The thrust force equals the force calculated using a torque of 10 Nm at each wheel.

If this is a real system, it may be worth pointing out that, when going round a curve, the speeds of the wheels need to be different, to avoid slipping and power loss. In practical systems, it is common practice to use a (three) differential(s)

With the friction, since the system is moving at a constant speed of 0.15 m/s, will the thrust force equal the frictional forces? The force here doesn't equal the force calculated via the torque of 40 Nm, is this because of a transmission efficiency?

At constant speed the sum of all forces equals zero. That comes from Newtons F = m*a. So yes the magnitude of the thrust should equal friction (if there are no other losses).

However..

How are you calculating the frictional force? It's not just F = μ*N. That would be the maximum force before the wheels start to slip. The actual frictional force will be lower (and hard to calculate - unless you calculate it from the thrust).

insightful said:
Yes, the thrust force equals the frictional forces.

This is only true if the wheels are all going at the same speed and in a practical situation you can't be sure of that.
The "friction" forces in this problem will not involve any loss of power - it could be a rack and pinion system if there is no slippage.
CWatters said:
How are you calculating the frictional force? It's not just F = μ*N.
That value F is the limiting friction force and the actual value could be anything less than μ*N, I think.

1. How do you calculate wheel power?

Wheel power can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the wheel by its linear velocity. This can be expressed as P = F x v, where P is power in watts, F is force in Newtons, and v is velocity in meters per second.

2. What is torque and how does it relate to wheel calculations?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. In terms of wheel calculations, torque is the force that causes the wheel to rotate. It is directly related to the power and speed of the wheel, with greater torque resulting in a higher power output.

3. How do you determine the force required to move a wheel?

The force required to move a wheel can be calculated by dividing the wheel's weight by the coefficient of friction between the wheel and the surface it is moving on. This gives the minimum force needed to overcome friction and start the wheel moving.

4. Can you calculate wheel power without knowing the torque?

No, torque is a necessary component in calculating wheel power. Without knowing the torque, it is impossible to accurately determine the power output of a wheel.

5. How do you account for rolling resistance in wheel calculations?

Rolling resistance is the force that opposes the motion of a wheel and is caused by the deformation of the wheel and the surface it is moving on. It can be accounted for by including it in the calculation of the force required to move the wheel. The higher the rolling resistance, the more force is needed to overcome it and keep the wheel in motion.