Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wheel calculations (Power, torque, etc.)

1. Apr 29, 2015 #1
    Hi there, I've forgotten how to solve these problems, eg:

If I've got two shafts, two wheels per shaft meaning four wheels in total, each wheel is 60 mm in diameter, and the power consumed by the system in providing a constant horizontal velocity of 0.15 m/s is 200W, what is the torque in each wheel? The wheels are rubber coated, and the wheels are acting upon a steel surface (take coefficient of friction to be 0.7).

This is how I've solved the problem:
    Power = Torque x angular velocity
    w = v / r = 0.15 / 0.030 = 5 rad/s

Torque = P / w = 200 / 5 = 40 Nm
    Now since there are 4 wheels (instead of just 1 wheel) AND two shafts with two wheels in each shaft, how do I interpret this torque of 40 Nm? Is the force per wheel just force = Power / velocity or is this force divided amonst the 4 wheels?

With the friction, since the system is moving at a constant speed of 0.15 m/s, will the thrust force equal the frictional forces? The force here doesn't equal the force calculated via the torque of 40 Nm, is this because of a transmission efficiency?

Thanks in advance, really annoying how I still haven't grasped these basic concepts (I'm studying Mechatronics engineering at uni)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2015 #2
    Yes, the force is divided amonst the 4 wheels. Yes, the thrust force equals the frictional forces. The thrust force equals the force calculated using a torque of 10 Nm at each wheel.

4. Apr 29, 2015 #3

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If this is a real system, it may be worth pointing out that, when going round a curve, the speeds of the wheels need to be different, to avoid slipping and power loss. In practical systems, it is common practice to use a (three) differential(s)

5. Apr 30, 2015 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

At constant speed the sum of all forces equals zero. That comes from Newtons F = m*a. So yes the magnitude of the thrust should equal friction (if there are no other losses).

However..

How are you calculating the frictional force? It's not just F = μ*N. That would be the maximum force before the wheels start to slip. The actual frictional force will be lower (and hard to calculate - unless you calculate it from the thrust).

6. Apr 30, 2015 #5

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is only true if the wheels are all going at the same speed and in a practical situation you can't be sure of that.
    The "friction" forces in this problem will not involve any loss of power - it could be a rack and pinion system if there is no slippage.
    That value F is the limiting friction force and the actual value could be anything less than μ*N, I think.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook