Regarding Friction/Normal force at 90(d) angle

In summary, the problem involves a truck hitting a person and the person getting stuck on the front of the truck. The forces at work are gravity and the force from the truck, with a coefficient of friction of \mu. The question asks for the acceleration of the truck to keep the person stuck on the front. The solution involves finding the normal force (N) using the equation N = m*a, where m is the mass of the person and a is the acceleration of the truck. The problem can be visualized on a X-Y system with the truck approaching along the x-axis from right to left. The pseudo force acting is similar to gravity on a leveled ground. The conversation ends with a joke about the professor possibly having killing tendencies.
PureSin

Homework Statement

I will try to explain it this way:
A truck hits a person, the person now is stuck on the trucks front.
Forces working on the person are Gravity and the force that the truck is applying.
The coefficient of the friction is [tex]\mu[/tex].

What should be the truck's acceleration in order for the person to stay "stuck" on its front.2. The attempt at a solution
[tex]\Sigma[/tex]F[tex]\hat{y}[/tex] = -mg+[tex]\mu[/tex]*N
From what I understand we need [tex]\Sigma[/tex]=0. I have never dealt with a problem in which the surface is placed at a 90 degrees angle. Could you guys please provide a solution/hint for what N is.

Thank you. :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
N = m*a...
m = mass of the person
a = acceleration of the truck...
On a X-Y system...
If the truck is approaching along the x-axis from right to left...
Tilt your head 90 deg to left...
Follow the truck...
Now since you're in a non inertial frame...
The pseudo force acting is similar to what gravity would be if this all were friction calculated between an object and a leveled ground...
I'm curious... Are you planning to kill someone...
(o_O)

Well thanks, I got it now.

Ask my Classical Mechanics professor, I'm starting to suspect that he has killing tendencies.

1. What is friction and normal force?

Friction is the force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact. Normal force is the force exerted by a surface perpendicular to the contact point.

2. How are friction and normal force related at a 90 degree angle?

At a 90 degree angle, the normal force and friction force are independent of each other. This means that the normal force does not affect the amount of friction between two surfaces.

3. How does the coefficient of friction affect the normal force at a 90 degree angle?

The coefficient of friction does not directly affect the normal force at a 90 degree angle. However, it does affect the amount of friction between two surfaces at that angle.

4. What factors can influence the amount of friction and normal force at a 90 degree angle?

The three main factors that can influence friction and normal force at a 90 degree angle are the surface materials, the surface roughness, and the applied force.

5. How can the relationship between friction and normal force be used in real life applications?

The relationship between friction and normal force is important in many real life applications, such as designing tires for cars or creating non-slip surfaces for floors. Understanding this relationship can help engineers and scientists make more efficient and safe products.