Regarding quantum physics(fermi energy)

In summary, the conversation is about finding the pressure, P, in terms of U and V, where V is the volume of the electron gas. The solution involves using the Fermi energy equation, E(f), which is proportional to V^(-2/3), and the formula P=-dU/dV. The conversation also touches on finding the bulk modulus, B, in terms of U, but there is some confusion on how to express it solely in terms of U.
lotrsimp12345
The average electron energy in an electron gas is known to be <e>=3E(f)/5. The energy for N such electrons would be 3NE(f)/5. Find the pressure in terms of U and V, where V is the volume of the electron gas.

My solution.

Fermi energy
E(f)=(h^2/2m)*((3N/8*pie*V)^(2/3))
therefore E(F) is proportional to V^(-2/3)
since it is proportional i just have to plug into 3NE(f)/5 or the other one correct?

Thanks.

so which formula do i plug V^(-2/3) into E(F)? The 3NE(f)/5 or 3E(f)/5.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hah, you have me confused. Let's write down what you have:

[tex]U=(3/5)NE_F[/tex]
and
[tex]E_F = C V^{-2/3}[/tex]

where I stuck all those nasty constants that don't depend on V in the term C.

So, you also know [tex]P=-dU/dV[/tex].

You have all the pieces, just put them together now.

but the pressure needs to be in terms of U and V.

First use substitution to remove the Fermi energy from the first equation. Then take the derivative with respect to V. And substitute back in U to get the pressure in terms of U and V.

thanks.

after i take derivative i have p=-dU/dV=(6/15)NC*(V^(-5/3))
you can't substitue this into U because it isn't=U to derivative of du/dv.

First, 6/15 can be simplified. Second, you can pull a U out of that final equation of yours. Just remember what U is equal to, and factor that out of the equation above, and then make it U.

Can i do this U=3/5*N*C*(V^(-2/3)). so solve for N and plug into p=-dU/dV=(6/15)NC*(V^(-5/3))? don't really understand what you mean by pull out U from -du/dv.

You can do that as well, or even solve for C and plug it in. All the constants will cancel out in the end and you will be left with U and V for your pressure equation.

thank you so much.

now he asks to find bulk modulus. B=-V*(dp/dv) but he wants it in terms on U only and if i take derivative and simplify i am left with 2U/3V again but am unsure of how to get further in terms of plugging in for V.

You need to show some work. And remember that U also depends on V.

so use U=(3/5*N*C*V^(-2/3)) solve for V and substitute?

here's what i did B=-V(dp/dv)=-V((d/dV(2U/3V))=2U/3V. But i need my answer in terms of of only U.

You didn't take the derivative of U with respect to V in that formula. But that formula may not be the best to take the derivative of. Try a formula you quoted earlier...

p=-dU/dV=(6/15)NC*(V^(-5/3))?

Take the derivative of that pressure with respect to volume, then substitute the U back in.

Edit: Nevermind, I see your problem. What does the problem ask for exactly?

Last edited:
Problem:
The bulk modulus, B, is defined to be B=-V(dp/dv). Find expression of B in terms of U.

Well, I get a similar answer as with the U/V, except I get a different coefficient than you. But I still also get the volume in my bulk modulus. So not sure how to express it only as U.

thanks for help i will just ask teacher tom.

Related to Regarding quantum physics(fermi energy)

1. What is Fermi energy?

Fermi energy is a concept in quantum physics that refers to the highest energy level that an electron can have at absolute zero temperature.

2. How is Fermi energy calculated?

Fermi energy can be calculated using the Fermi-Dirac distribution function, which takes into account the number of available energy states and the probability of an electron occupying them at a given temperature.

3. What is the significance of Fermi energy in materials?

Fermi energy plays a crucial role in understanding the electronic properties of materials. It determines the conductivity, thermal and electrical properties, and the behavior of electrons in a material.

4. Can Fermi energy change in a material?

Yes, Fermi energy can change in a material due to external factors such as temperature, pressure, or doping. It can also vary depending on the material's properties, such as density of states and electron-electron interactions.

5. How does Fermi energy relate to the Fermi level?

The Fermi energy is equal to the Fermi level at absolute zero temperature. However, at finite temperatures, the Fermi level can shift due to thermal energy, while the Fermi energy remains constant.