Regarding the eigenvalues of the translation operator

In summary, the eigenvalue of a translation operator gives us the physically measurable value of that operator.
otaKu
I don't understand what the eigenvalue of a translation operator means physically. The eigenvalues of other operators like momentum and hamiltonian give us the physically measurable values I suppose. Then what exactly do we obtain by the translation eigenvalues?

I am new to the field of quantum mechanics and as far as what I understand up until now the eigenvalue of an operator give us the physically measurable value of that operator.(Please correct me if I am wrong.)
So I was reading about the eigenfunctions of translation operator(the Bloch functions I mean) for a simple 1D chain of atoms extended upto infinity by the Born von Karman boundary condition(φ(0)=φ(l)) where L is the length of the chain. The author says that the eigenvalue equation of translation operator can be written as follows:
Rφ(x) = λφ(x)​
λ being a constant eigenvalue I presume.
After a little trial and error he defines:
φ(x) = exp(2πikx)u(x)​
where k is some number and u(k) is another function with the same periodicity as the lattice(also known as cell function in solid state physics)
(The details in the exponential are for mathematical convenience in further operations and is fairly elastic)
He then goes on to verify the solution
Rφ(x) = exp(2πikR)φ(x)​
and since it is of the form as the first the formulated eigenfunction seems valid.

I cannot visualise the translational operator properly. I mean I am confused as to what this eigenvalue means. I know I still need to normalise it using the identity translation but I am still confused. In fact I don't even know what's getting me so worked up. Any sort of help or advice will be welcomed.

Physics news on Phys.org
The translation operator translates the quantum state itself by a certain amount.
Say we have the translation operator ##T(a)## that translations the quantum state ##|x\rangle## which gives the eigen value ##x## when acted upon with the operator ##\hat{x}##, by distance ##a## along the ##x## axis. Then:$$\hat{x}T(a)|x\rangle=(x+a)T(a)|x\rangle$$
Which implies: $$T(a)|x\rangle=|x+a\rangle$$
Makes sense? My first line is what is confusing you. I hope :smile:

Likes otaKu
otaKu said:
I don't understand what the eigenvalue of a translation operator means physically.
Translation operator is not a Hermitian operator, therefore you should not expect its measurement is feasible.

Likes otaKu
Thanks for the answers. I think I get it now.

1. What is the translation operator?

The translation operator is a mathematical tool used to describe the movement of a point or object in space. It is commonly used in linear algebra and quantum mechanics to represent spatial transformations.

2. How does the translation operator work?

The translation operator works by shifting the coordinates of a point or object in a specific direction and distance. It can be represented by a matrix or a set of equations, depending on the mathematical context in which it is used.

3. What are eigenvalues of the translation operator?

The eigenvalues of the translation operator are the values that, when multiplied by the corresponding eigenvectors, result in the original vector being translated by a specific amount and direction. In simpler terms, they represent the amount and direction of movement caused by the translation operator.

4. How are eigenvalues of the translation operator calculated?

The eigenvalues of the translation operator can be calculated by solving the characteristic equation of the matrix representing the operator. This involves finding the roots of the equation and using them as the eigenvalues.

5. What is the significance of eigenvalues of the translation operator?

The eigenvalues of the translation operator are important because they provide information about the behavior of the operator and how it affects vectors in a particular space. They also play a crucial role in solving problems related to spatial transformations and can be used to simplify complex mathematical equations.