But how accurate is my regression function?

In summary, a regression function is a mathematical model used to describe the relationship between a dependent variable and one or more independent variables. Its purpose is to predict the value of the dependent variable based on the values of the independent variables. There are different types of regression functions, including linear, logistic, and polynomial regression. These functions are typically calculated using statistical methods such as least squares regression. However, they have limitations, including being based on assumptions about the data and not necessarily showing causation between variables.
or.han
Hey.
I tried to make a function that could calculate the function of a "average" line. See my picture:
http://home1.stofanet.dk/orhan/regr.jpg
The language is danish but if you know about regression you will understand the variables. What have I done wrong?

or.han

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
anyone who can help?

I made it work...

What is a regression function?

A regression function is a mathematical model that describes the relationship between a dependent variable and one or more independent variables.

What is the purpose of a regression function?

The purpose of a regression function is to predict the value of the dependent variable based on the values of the independent variables.

What are the different types of regression functions?

There are several types of regression functions, including linear regression, logistic regression, and polynomial regression. Each type is appropriate for different types of data and research questions.

How is a regression function calculated?

A regression function is typically calculated using statistical methods, such as least squares regression, which minimizes the distance between the data points and the line of best fit.

What are the limitations of a regression function?

Regression functions are based on assumptions about the data, and may not accurately predict the dependent variable if those assumptions are not met. Additionally, correlation does not necessarily imply causation, so a regression function may not accurately reflect the true relationship between variables.