1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reimann Integral definition confusion.

1. May 22, 2012 #1
    My lecture notes say:

Let f:[a,b]->R be bounded.
    F is said to rienmann integrable if:

[tex] L=\int_{a}^{b} f(x)=U [/tex]

where :

L=Sup(L(f,P))

and

U=Inf(U,(f,P))

but everywhere else(internet) there's a definition with epsilon.
    I have the epsilon stuff later under "riemann criterion" so was wondering if the above definition is okay or I copied something wrong

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2012 #2
  4. May 22, 2012 #3
    Never heard of a darboux integral will this definition suffice if asked for a riemann integral?

5. May 22, 2012 #4

Bacle2

Science Advisor

Actually, this is an equality in the limit, i.e., you need to be able to make the difference

L-U as small as possible, i.e., show that there are partitions such that, for all e>0,

L-U<e .

Or, if you really want to go over the top, use net-convergence on the partitions.

6. May 22, 2012 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, the "epsilon stuff" is hidden in the sup and inf- they are limits. If they are equal, then f is "integrable" and their common value is the integral of f.

Here is an example in which it does NOT work and so f is not integrable: let f(x)= 0 if x is rational and 1 if x is irrational. Now, divide the interval from a to b into n sub-intervals. Inside any such sub-interval, there exist both rational and irrational numbers so f(x) has values of both 0 and 1 inside each interval. That means that each [itex]L(f, P)[/itex], the sum of the minimum height and base of each interval, is 0 and each [itex]U(f, P)[/itex], the sum of the maximum height and base of each interval is 1. The "sup" is 1 and the "inf" is 0. They are not the same so f is not integrable.

7. May 22, 2012 #6
    Darboux sum is important here.

We define upper Darboux sum and lower Darboux sum, and say that function is Riemann-integrable iff [itex]\displaystyle\sup_{P}L_{f,P} = \displaystyle\inf_{P}U_{f,P}[/itex] iff [itex]\forall \varepsilon>0 ~\forall P ~ \exists \delta>0~ \mbox{if} ~\lambda(P)<\delta ~\mbox{then} ~|U_{f,P}-L_{f,P}|<\varepsilon[/itex], where [itex]\lambda =
    \displaystyle\max_{1\le k \le n} |x_{k}-x_{k-1}|[/itex]

We supposed that [itex]f[/itex] is bounded.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook