When is Moment Reduced in Reinforced Concrete Design?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of moment reduction in the design of concrete slabs and beams. The question is when to reduce the moment, and it is mentioned that for continuous beams, moment reduction is usually done over middle supports. However, it is unclear if the same applies for cantilever beams and arms. The discussion concludes with the suggestion that there may not be a need for moment reduction in the case of a cantilever beam.
niz
Hi!
I'm having some difficulty trying to clear some things when designing r.concrete slab and beam.
My question is : when do you reduce moment ?
I am aware we reduce moment over support...but when that support is in middle of beam .(continuous beam)
For simply supported beam we don't make reduction of moment.
Then i read on one place that we do not reduce moment over support in cantilever beam...is this true..?
can anyone give me cases when we do reduction of moment for beams and slabs..?
Thanx in advance!

Niz

Engineering news on Phys.org
niz said:
Hi!
I'm having some difficulty trying to clear some things when designing r.concrete slab and beam.
My question is : when do you reduce moment ?
I am aware we reduce moment over support...but when that support is in middle of beam .(continuous beam)
For simply supported beam we don't make reduction of moment.
Then i read on one place that we do not reduce moment over support in cantilever beam...is this true..?
can anyone give me cases when we do reduction of moment for beams and slabs..?
Thanx in advance!

Niz

You do moment reductions over supports on continuous beams (middle supports) in general because the bending moment function you get (by using a simple statical system approximation for your beam) has greater values (in the neighbourhoods of these points) and a different 'shape' than a more realistic moment function.

what about cantilever beam and cantilever arm?
do we make moment reduction for these two cases as well?
or...because of the safty we dont..?

niz said:
what about cantilever beam and cantilever arm?
do we make moment reduction for these two cases as well?
or...because of the safty we dont..?

I think there is no need to do moment reduction in the case of a cantilever beam, at least I didn't see a case/argument to do so yet.

thank you so much for your help :)

niz said:
thank you so much for your help :)

No problemo, I'm glad I helped. :wink:

1. What is reinforced concrete design?

Reinforced concrete design is a method of designing structures made of concrete and steel reinforcement to withstand applied loads and stresses. It combines the strength and durability of concrete with the tensile strength of steel to create a versatile and widely used building material.

2. What are the benefits of using reinforced concrete in construction?

Reinforced concrete has several advantages, including its high strength and durability, fire resistance, and versatility in design. It is also a cost-effective and sustainable building material, as it can be made from locally sourced materials and has a long lifespan.

3. How is reinforced concrete designed?

Reinforced concrete design involves calculating the required amount and placement of steel reinforcement within a concrete structure to resist the anticipated loads and stresses. This is done using established design codes and principles, taking into account factors such as material properties, structural requirements, and safety considerations.

4. What are the main factors to consider in reinforced concrete design?

The main factors to consider in reinforced concrete design include the type and magnitude of loads and stresses the structure will be subjected to, the properties of the concrete and steel materials, the desired structural performance and durability, and any specific design requirements or constraints.

5. How does reinforced concrete compare to other building materials?

Reinforced concrete offers many advantages over other building materials, such as its high strength and durability, versatility in design, and fire resistance. It also has a relatively low cost compared to materials like steel and timber, making it a popular choice for a wide range of construction projects.