Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reinforced concrete design

1. Jan 6, 2007 #1

niz

Hi!
    I'm having some difficulty trying to clear some things when designing r.concrete slab and beam.
    My question is : when do you reduce moment ?
    I am aware we reduce moment over support...but when that support is in middle of beam .(continuous beam)
    For simply supported beam we don't make reduction of moment.
    Then i read on one place that we do not reduce moment over support in cantilever beam...is this true..?
    can anyone give me cases when we do reduction of moment for beams and slabs..?
    Thanx in advance!

Niz

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2007 #2

radou

Homework Helper

You do moment reductions over supports on continuous beams (middle supports) in general because the bending moment function you get (by using a simple statical system approximation for your beam) has greater values (in the neighbourhoods of these points) and a different 'shape' than a more realistic moment function.

4. Jan 6, 2007 #3

niz

what about cantilever beam and cantilever arm?
    do we make moment reduction for these two cases as well?
    or...because of the safty we dont..?

5. Jan 6, 2007 #4

radou

Homework Helper

I think there is no need to do moment reduction in the case of a cantilever beam, at least I didn't see a case/argument to do so yet.

6. Jan 6, 2007 #5

niz

thank you so much for your help :)

7. Jan 6, 2007 #6

radou

Homework Helper

No problemo, I'm glad I helped. :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?