Reinforced Concrete Help: Where To Place Steel Bars?

• Thread starter sanado
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Concrete
In summary, the conversation is about the placement of steel bars in reinforced concrete. The question is where the bars should be placed in the concrete that is under tension. Some possible references are suggested, including a USDA document and a mechanics of materials textbook. The placement of the bars depends on the loads and their vectors. The CRSI handbook is recommended as a simpler reference for contractors and ironworkers.
sanado
Hey guys, was just wondering if you could help me with re-inforced concrete. I am confused as to where to put the steel bars. I no that it needs to be placed in the part of the concrete that is under tension, but i can never find which part is under tension. An explanation would be good while some sample questions would be perfect!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are unable to do beam/column calculations, you probably should not be doing rebar design.

Haha that would be an ideal world for me if i could skip this part of the physics course. Its just basic questions and it asks where should the steel beams be placed

Just wondering if that documents maybe a wee bit complex for what he's after TVP?

Lore said:
Just wondering if that documents maybe a wee bit complex for what he's after TVP?

Well, maybe a skinch. I thought of referring him to BOCA, but that assumes a fair level of knowledge. It's a complex question; I can't imagine anyone asking this in an Intro Physics class. Do you know of any simpler reference he could use?

There needs to be more info on this. The part of the concrete in tension depends on the loads and their vectors or in reality the moments. However, to answer the last question "... any simpler reference..." any mechanics of materials undergrad book should have a section on reinforced concrete beams.

I have R. C. Hibbeler's Third Ed. pg. 326 has a good write up.

I worked construction during the summer, when not in school , and for concrete , in garage, we put the bars parelel, and a few feet apart. That is what my company did, so i assume its right, cause no complaints lol

When you say parallel I'm asuming that you are talking about floors and parallel to the floor surface. That makes sense, but the placement of the rebar needs to be correct. In a parking floor you need the rebar 3/4 or so the thickness of the concrete slab from the top surface as this would be the part of the slab in tension. In other words the force on the concrete is (lets assume) perpendicular to the slab and it would make the slab bow and the under side would need to strech a bit.

ChillyWilly said:
When you say parallel I'm asuming that you are talking about floors and parallel to the floor surface. That makes sense, but the placement of the rebar needs to be correct. In a parking floor you need the rebar 3/4 or so the thickness of the concrete slab from the top surface as this would be the part of the slab in tension. In other words the force on the concrete is (lets assume) perpendicular to the slab and it would make the slab bow and the under side would need to strech a bit.

The CRSI handbook for rebar placement is intended for contractors, ironworkers, etc. That would be simpler than my original posting.

1. What is the purpose of steel bars in reinforced concrete?

The steel bars, also known as reinforcement, provide tensile strength to the concrete. This helps prevent cracking and increases the overall strength and durability of the structure.

2. How do I determine the size and placement of steel bars in reinforced concrete?

The size and placement of steel bars depend on the design and load requirements of the structure. This is typically determined by a structural engineer or designer using building codes and standards.

3. Can steel bars be placed in any position within the concrete?

No, steel bars must be placed in specific locations and orientations within the concrete to effectively reinforce it. This is usually determined by the structural engineer and specified in the building plans.

4. What happens if steel bars are not placed correctly in reinforced concrete?

If steel bars are not placed correctly, it can result in a weaker structure and potential structural failure. This is why it is important to follow the design and placement guidelines set by the structural engineer.

5. Are there any specific guidelines for spacing steel bars in reinforced concrete?

Yes, there are spacing requirements for steel bars in reinforced concrete to ensure proper reinforcement and strength. These requirements vary depending on the size and type of steel bars, as well as the design and load requirements of the structure.