Related Rates: Particle's Distance from Origin

In summary, we are given a particle moving along an ellipse with coordinates x = 4cost and y = 2sint. We are asked to find the rate at which the particle's distance from the origin is changing at time t and when t = pi/4. The expression to represent the distance from the origin is dx/dt + dy/dt. The equation for the ellipse does not play a role in finding this rate. The answer for the rate of change at t = pi/4 is -1/2.
tmlrlz

Homework Statement

A particle is moving along the ellipse x2/16 + y2/4 = 1. At each time t its x and y coordinates are given by x = 4cost, y = 2sint. At what rate is the particle's distance from the origin changing at time t? At what rate is the distance from the origin changing when t = pi/4?

Homework Equations

x2/16 + y2/4 = 1
x = 4cost
y = 2sint
dx/dt
dy/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

I am fairly sure i can do this question, the only problem is that i am not so sure what it is asking for. I'm assuming that i am to find dy/dx.
dy/dx = (dy/dt)(dt/dx)
dy/dt = 2cost
dx/dt = -4sint

x2/16 + y2/4 = 1
2x(dx/dt) (1/16) + 2y(dy/dt)(1/4) = 0
(x/8) (-4sint) + (y/2)(2cost) = 0
(-xsint)/2 + ycost = 0
At t = pi/4
2ycos(pi/4) = xsin(pi/4)
2y(1/√2) = x(1/√2)
x = 2y

dy/dx = (dy/dt) (dt/dx)
= (2cost)(-1/4sint)
= (-1/2) (cost/sint)
= (-1/2)(cott)
at t = pi/4
dy/dx = (-1/2)(1/1)
= -1/2

Does this mean that the answer is -1/2 because then I'm not sure why they gave us the equation for the ellipse because it doesn't play any effect in finding dy/dx. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
tmlrlz said:

Homework Statement

A particle is moving along the ellipse x2/16 + y2/4 = 1. At each time t its x and y coordinates are given by x = 4cost, y = 2sint. At what rate is the particle's distance from the origin changing at time t? At what rate is the distance from the origin changing when t = pi/4?

Homework Equations

x2/16 + y2/4 = 1
x = 4cost
y = 2sint
dx/dt
dy/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

I am fairly sure i can do this question, the only problem is that i am not so sure what it is asking for. I'm assuming that i am to find dy/dx.
No, they're not asking for dy/dx. You wrote what the problem is asking for in your problem statement:
At what rate is the particle's distance from the origin changing at time t? At what rate is the distance from the origin changing when t = pi/4?

What expression represents the particle's distance from the origin?
tmlrlz said:
dy/dx = (dy/dt)(dt/dx)
dy/dt = 2cost
dx/dt = -4sint

x2/16 + y2/4 = 1
2x(dx/dt) (1/16) + 2y(dy/dt)(1/4) = 0
(x/8) (-4sint) + (y/2)(2cost) = 0
(-xsint)/2 + ycost = 0
At t = pi/4
2ycos(pi/4) = xsin(pi/4)
2y(1/√2) = x(1/√2)
x = 2y

dy/dx = (dy/dt) (dt/dx)
= (2cost)(-1/4sint)
= (-1/2) (cost/sint)
= (-1/2)(cott)
at t = pi/4
dy/dx = (-1/2)(1/1)
= -1/2

Does this mean that the answer is -1/2 because then I'm not sure why they gave us the equation for the ellipse because it doesn't play any effect in finding dy/dx. Thank you.

Mark44 said:
No, they're not asking for dy/dx. You wrote what the problem is asking for in your problem statement:

What expression represents the particle's distance from the origin?

the rate of change of x with respect to t plus the rate of change of y with respect to t:
dx/dt + dy/dt ?

1. What is a related rates ellipse question?

A related rates ellipse question is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the rate of change of one variable with respect to another in an ellipse-shaped figure. This is usually done by using the equation of the ellipse and taking the derivative of both sides to solve for the desired rate of change.

2. How do you set up a related rates ellipse question?

To set up a related rates ellipse question, you first need to identify the variables involved and their rates of change. Then, you can use the equation of the ellipse (x^2/a^2 + y^2/b^2 = 1) and take the derivative of both sides with respect to time. This will allow you to create an equation with the rates of change that you can solve for the desired rate.

3. What are some real-life applications of related rates ellipse questions?

Related rates ellipse questions have various real-life applications, such as calculating the rate of change of the area or perimeter of an ellipse-shaped swimming pool as the water level changes, determining the rate of change of the distance between two satellites in orbit, or finding the rate at which a hot air balloon is rising as it follows an elliptical path.

4. What are some tips for solving related rates ellipse questions?

One tip for solving related rates ellipse questions is to carefully define your variables and their rates of change. Additionally, it can be helpful to draw a diagram or graph to visualize the problem. It is also important to use the correct derivative rules and to pay attention to units when solving the equation.

5. How can I check my answer for a related rates ellipse question?

You can check your answer for a related rates ellipse question by plugging your values back into the original equation and ensuring that it is true. You can also use common sense and intuition to make sure that your answer is reasonable and makes sense in the context of the problem.