Related Rates: Conical Pile Height Problem | Calculus Question

In summary, you're trying to find the height of the pile of sand based on its radius and the volume of the pile. You're using the radius and the height to find the volume, and then you're using the volume and the height to find the height. You're getting the wrong answer because you're forgetting to take the derivative of the equation.
Jordan_
I've been working on this problem for a while now and I can't seem to make it work. Maybe I could get a hint?

A conveyer belt system at a gravel pit pours washed sand onto the ground at a rate of 180m^3/h. The sand forms a conical pile with the height always one fifth the diameter of the base. Find out how fast the heith of the pile is increasing at the instant when the radius of the base is 6m.

I understand I'm given dv/dt = 180 as well as r = 6 and h = 2r/5 = 36/5

The equation I'm using is v = Bh/3 or v = (pi)(r^2)(h)/3

I go on to take the derivative and input my variables but I'm always missing dr/dt. Maybe a hint? o:)

By the by the answer is stated as 1.59m/h

Physics news on Phys.org
You want an equation relating the volume of the pile to its height, which you can get by writing the radius in terms of the height. Then take the derivative of both sides.

Okay so if my volume equation is

v = pi(r^2)(h) and I want to get rid of the radius, I simple take the information I was given...that the heigh is one fifth the diameter of the circle and for the equation h = 2r/5. I then rearrange it to say r = 5h/2 and substitute that in?

Then it makes v = pi(5h/2)^2(h) which then gives me v = pi(25h^3)/4

when I take the derivative of that, and sub in the height which I get as 2.4,
I end up with dh/dt = 1.27m which isn't the right answer. What am I doing wrong?

Well, the volume should be [itex]\pi r^2 h/3[/itex], but that mistake would give you an answer that's off by a factor of three, so you must be making another error in some calculation you haven't shown.

Sorry about that mate. Least I could have done is checked over my calculations before asking. I just did it again your way and got the answer. Thanks for the help bro it's appreciated. :biggrin:

1. What is a conical pile height problem?

A conical pile height problem is a type of related rates problem in calculus that involves finding the rate at which the height of a conical pile is changing while the radius of the base is also changing.

2. How do you solve a conical pile height problem?

To solve a conical pile height problem, you must first identify the variables involved and their rates of change. Then, you can use the formula for the volume of a cone (V = (1/3)πr^2h) and the chain rule to set up an equation and solve for the desired rate of change.

3. What is the significance of the conical pile height problem?

The conical pile height problem is significant because it is a real-world application of related rates. It can be used to solve practical problems such as determining the rate at which a pile of sand or gravel is growing or shrinking.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving a conical pile height problem?

One common mistake when solving a conical pile height problem is not properly identifying the variables and their rates of change. Another mistake is not setting up the equation correctly or not using the chain rule appropriately.

5. Are there any tips for solving conical pile height problems?

Some tips for solving conical pile height problems include carefully labeling all variables and rates of change, drawing a diagram to visualize the problem, and checking your final answer for reasonableness. It is also helpful to practice solving various related rates problems to become more familiar with the process.