How Fast is the Angle Changing When the Ladder is 8 Feet From the Wall?

In summary, the angle between the ladder and the wall is changing at a rate of 0.0405 degrees per second.
jgens
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Mr. Wilson is standing near the top of a ladder 24 feet long which is leaning against a vertical wall of his house. Dennis the little boy next door, ties a rope from his tricycle to the bottom of the ladder and starts to pull the foot of the ladder away from the house wall. The bottom end of the ladder begins to slide away from the wall at the rate of 1 foot per second. How fast is the angle between the top of the ladder and the wall changing when the foot of the ladder is 8 feet from the wall?

Homework Equations

Again, simple derivatives.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, here's my best guess:

Listing the knowns: z = 24, x' = 1, x = 8.

One of my relating equations is x^2 + y^2 = z^2; therefore, xx' + yy' = 0. While the second relating equation is tan(theta) = x/y, and consequently sec^2(theta)(theta)' = (x'y - y'x)/y^2. Or similarly: (theta)' = (x'y - y'x)/(sec^2(theta)y^2). A few intermediate calculations give y' = -8/sqrt(512), y = sqrt(512), and theta = arctan(8/sqrt(512)). Plugging everything in produces (theta)' = 0.0405.

Physics news on Phys.org
Now, I'm not sure I agree with that one. The angle between the wall and the ladder is theta=arcsin((8+x)/24), right? Find theta' and use x'=1. I seem to be getting a different answer from yours. But it's late, and I could be wrong.

I suppose your approach if considerably simpler. We let sin(theta) = x/z = 8/24. Therefore, cos(theta)(theta)' = x'/z; a little algebra yields (theta)' = x'/(zcos(theta)). Plugging everything in should yield, theta' = 1/sqrt(512) which is approximately 0.0442. Is this what you got Dick?

I'll try the method you presented directly. theta = arcsin(x/z); therefore, theta' = x'/(zsqrt(1 - (x/z)^2)) and plugging everything in I get the same result.

Yes, I got 0.0442. But it's late enough that I'm starting to get a different answer everytime I do it. So have faith in yourself.

That's pretty funny. Thanks.

jgens said:
That's pretty funny. Thanks.

Then vote for me for funniest HW helper of the year for next year. I just got 0.0442 again. So the odds are 2/3 that it's right. 3/4 if we count your post.

1. What is a sliding ladder problem?

A sliding ladder problem is a type of related rates problem in calculus that involves finding the rate at which the distance between the base of a ladder and a wall changes as the ladder slides down the wall. It is a common example used to illustrate the concept of related rates.

2. How do you solve a related rates sliding ladder problem?

To solve a related rates sliding ladder problem, you first need to draw a diagram and label all the given information. Then, you need to identify the variables that are changing with respect to time and set up an equation using the given information and the chain rule. Finally, you can solve for the desired rate using algebra and calculus techniques.

3. What is the chain rule and why is it important in related rates problems?

The chain rule is a calculus rule that allows you to differentiate a composite function. In related rates problems, the variables are usually changing with respect to time, and the chain rule is necessary to find the rate of change of the dependent variable with respect to time.

4. What are some real-life applications of related rates sliding ladder problems?

Related rates problems, including sliding ladder problems, have many real-life applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. For example, they can be used to calculate the rate at which a ship is moving away from a lighthouse, the rate at which a balloon is deflating, or the rate at which a company's profits are changing.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving related rates sliding ladder problems?

Yes, some common mistakes to avoid when solving related rates sliding ladder problems include not labeling the diagram correctly, not identifying the variables that are changing with respect to time, and not using the chain rule correctly. It is also important to check your units and make sure they are consistent throughout the problem.