Relating moment of Inertia and pendulum oscillation

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
heatherro92
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
I took a picture of the question to help.

14tsihj.png


I know that the moment of inertia for a rod (at one end, not the center) is:
1/3ML^2

And I know that the period of oscillation is:
T=2∏√(L/g)

But I don't know how to relate them... I tried doing Torque=Iα=Fdcosθ and solve in terms of Time... but it wasn't becoming the equation and I had a random ω I couldn't get rid of. And I don't think I'm allowed to use the oscillation equation at all since I'm supposed to be deriving it, I'm just not sure what to do.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
so am I solving for α in that equation and that's identical to the period?
 
No, α is the angular acceleration. The period is T.

ehild