Relation between EMR & the force of gravity?

In summary, Dave mentions that gravity has nothing to do with it; electromagnetic waves follow null geodesics in space-time because general relativity is insignificant on Earth.
MinnesotaState
We know that radio waves follow the curvature of the earth. Reason? Gravity (I think)

The only logical thing I can think of is what Johann Heinrich Winkler discovered in mid 1800's; that when electricity is given multiple paths to choose from, it invariably chooses the best conductor (least resistance)

So if the mass of Earth is curving space-time at X curvature, then the path of least resistance will be X curvature ...assuming the radio wave was sent at X curvature ...then it should stay or want to stay at X curvature ...because it's lazy:P

Physics news on Phys.org
hi there

We don't, you thought
NO they don't, radio waves travel in straight lines.
radio waves, particularly those below ~ 1GHz are "refracted/reflected" around the Earth by the Ionosphere. Specially notable on freq's 30MHz and below.
Frequencies above ~ 100 MHZ are also capable of long distance ( over the horizon ) propagation by tropospheric ducting

I have used all these methods and a couple more in my amateur radio activities on many different frequencies
Gravity has nothing to do with it :)

Dave

Are you asking why electromagnetic waves follow null geodesics in space-time? You keep mentioning "radio waves follow the curvature of the earth" and "So if the mass of Earth is curving space-time at X curvature" so I suspect that you are. Keep in mind that when you are on the surface of the Earth (as you are now), the effects of general relativity are utterly insignificant and electromagnetic waves will behave pretty much as usual.

Thanks Dave

"refracted/reflected" around the Earth by the Ionosphere"

I remember this now from "empire of the air."

I was confused about straight lines in curved space-time (below)

Since light always goes in a straight line relative to space-time, if it encounters a curvature in space-time it will continue going straight but since space-time is curved, "straight" will be curved as well.

Gravity will affect light on a large scale ... the Abell 2218 galaxy cluster does a pretty good job with its gravity lensing

Dave

1. How does electromagnetic radiation (EMR) interact with gravity?

EMR and gravity are two fundamental forces of nature that have a complex relationship. According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, EMR can be affected by gravity, and in turn, can also affect gravity through its energy and momentum. This is known as the gravitational interaction of EMR.

2. Can EMR create or manipulate gravitational fields?

While EMR does have an effect on gravity, it is not strong enough to create or manipulate gravitational fields on its own. Gravity is primarily determined by the mass and energy of an object, rather than its electromagnetic properties.

3. How does the force of gravity affect the behavior of EMR?

The force of gravity can cause EMR to bend or warp as it passes through a strong gravitational field. This is known as gravitational lensing and is a crucial aspect of Einstein's theory of general relativity.

4. Does the intensity of EMR affect gravity?

The intensity of EMR does not directly affect gravity. However, the energy and momentum of EMR can contribute to the overall mass and energy of a system, which can then affect gravity.

5. Are there any practical applications of the relation between EMR and the force of gravity?

Understanding the interaction between EMR and gravity is crucial in fields such as astrophysics, where the bending of light by gravity can help us study distant objects. It also has implications in the development of theories such as quantum gravity, which aims to unify the theories of gravity and electromagnetism.