Relation Problem on A & B: What Happens to 1,3 & 2,4?

• Thread starter jwxie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relation
In summary: Since the book provides only a few of the possible ordered pairs in AxA, it is an incomplete set of ordered pairs.
jwxie
This is an example from the book.

For B = {1,2}, let A = P(B) = {empty, {1}, {2}, {1,2} }
The following is an example of relation on A:

R = {
(emp,emp),
(emp, {1})
(emp, {2}),
(emp, {1,2}) ,
({1},{1}),
({1}, {1,2}) ,
({2},{2}),
({2}, {1,2},
({1,2},{1,2}),
}

My question is, what happen to ({1}, emp), ({2}, {1}.. i see the trend that it is skipping everything before the current relation. Why?

Like A X B
let A = {1,2} and B = {2,3,4}
We will have 1,2 1,3 1,4 2,2, 2,3 2,4

Physics news on Phys.org
A relation on a set A can be any old set of ordered pairs with first and second entries appearing in A subject only to the proviso that all of A's elements appear as first or second element of at least one ordered pair in the relation. (The proviso can also be dropped if a relation in A, rather than on A, is specified.)

Last edited:
Hi, Martin, thank you. Can you explain further? Your definition is so advance for me to understand, sorry.
Thanks

I just looked the definition up on wiki and there a relation on A is defined without the proviso I inserted (i.e. exactly as i described relation in A). This may also be the definition in your book.

Ok if A={1,2,3} then R={(1,3),(1,1)} would be a relation on A according to wiki's definition. Here I just chose the elements of the ordered pairs (1,3) and (1,1) at random from A.

If you mean what I would normally mean by a relation on A (and what your book may mean - you'd have to check) the relation R would only be a relation in R, because 2 isn't included in any ordered pair. There is probably no distinction in general use so, unless your book says something to the contrary, you can assume that any set of ordered pairs chosen in a similar way to the way I chose R in the first paragraph will do as a binary relation on A.

Hope that makes sense.

The fact that A=P(B) in the book's example is irrelevant by the way.

Hi, thanks. So basically the book provides an incomplete ordered pairs of A X A relations.

Yes. A relation in A is usually defined as a subset (any subset) of AxA.

1. What is the relation problem on A & B?

The relation problem on A & B is a mathematical concept that involves determining the relationship between two sets of numbers, A and B. This can include identifying patterns, finding common factors, or solving equations involving the two sets.

2. What happens when we compare 1,3 and 2,4?

When comparing 1,3 and 2,4, we are looking for the relationship between the numbers in each set. In this case, we can see that the first number in each set (1 and 2) are one less than the second number in each set (3 and 4). This pattern suggests a linear relationship between the two sets.

3. How can we solve a relation problem on A & B?

To solve a relation problem on A & B, we can use various mathematical techniques such as finding common factors, graphing the sets, or using algebraic equations. It is important to carefully analyze and understand the relationship between the two sets before attempting to solve the problem.

4. Can we use real-life examples to understand relation problems on A & B?

Yes, we can use real-life examples to understand relation problems on A & B. For instance, we can use the relationship between the distance and time traveled by a car to understand the concept of a linear relationship between two sets of numbers.

5. Why is it important to study relation problems on A & B?

Studying relation problems on A & B can help us develop critical thinking skills and improve our problem-solving abilities. It also has various real-life applications, such as in business and science, where understanding patterns and relationships can lead to better decision-making and predictions.