Relationship between Mass and Speed of Light

In summary, the conversation is about the relationship between m (mass) and c (the speed of light). The speaker is confused about the relationship and is wondering how increasing mass affects the maximum speed achievable (c). The responder explains that there is no direct relationship and that massless particles always move at the speed of light, while massive particles can move at any speed between zero and c.
Sunanda Goh
Does anyone know the relationship between m, mass and c, the speed of light ? Can anyone draw the graph for me ? Thanks !

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF Sunanda!

I am having difficulty understanding your question. c is constant for all frames of reference. Mass can be anything. What makes you think there is a relationship between them?

AM

Likes bcrowell
Andrew Mason said:
Welcome to PF Sunanda!

I am having difficulty understanding your question. c is constant for all frames of reference. Mass can be anything. What makes you think there is a relationship between them?

AM

Oh ! Sorry for the misleading question ! What i meant, is, C is only achievable when m = 0, and when m increases, how does it affects C ? Hope you can understand my question now. I'm bad at interpreting

Okay. I'm changing my question. I'm confused with C just now. What i actually meant is, the maximum speed achievable.
E.g. , when m = 0 , highest v possible = C

There's no relationship of the sort that you're looking for. Massless particles move at speed c always; massive particles can move at any speed between zero and c.

What is the relationship between mass and the speed of light?

The relationship between mass and the speed of light is described by the famous equation, E=mc^2. This means that energy (E) is equal to mass (m) multiplied by the speed of light (c) squared.

How does the speed of light affect an object's mass?

The speed of light does not affect an object's mass. However, as an object's speed approaches the speed of light, its mass increases according to the equation m = m0/sqrt(1-(v^2/c^2)). This is known as relativistic mass.

Is there a limit to how fast an object can travel?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any object can travel. It is considered the ultimate speed limit in the universe.

How does the relationship between mass and the speed of light impact space travel?

The relationship between mass and the speed of light has a significant impact on space travel. As an object's speed increases, its mass also increases, making it more difficult to accelerate the object to higher speeds. Therefore, the speed of light poses a major obstacle for space travel and makes it difficult to achieve interstellar travel.

What are the implications of the relationship between mass and the speed of light in our understanding of the universe?

The relationship between mass and the speed of light plays a fundamental role in our understanding of the universe. It helps explain concepts such as time dilation and the equivalence of mass and energy. It also provides the foundation for theories like the Big Bang and black holes. Without this relationship, our understanding of the universe would be drastically different.