Energy, Mass, Light: Unveiling the Relationship

• B
  • Thread starter jnorman34
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relationship
In summary: Thank you, gentlemen - that has been helpful.In summary, @Dale's reasoning is valid but the person's reasoning is not.
jnorman34
TL;DR Summary
Why “c” is the relationship between energy and mass?
A stupid layperson question-
while it is clear that any given quantity of mass comprises an enormous quantity of energy, I have wondered how could it be that the speed of light is involved in that relationship, rather than some very large, but random constant. It just seems so odd to me that c would just happen to be that constant. Yes, I understand the basic derivation of the equation stems from other equations which include c, but still, it boggles my mind that e, m, and c would be fundamentally related in this way. It is like some insight into the nature of reality that we “know” on the mathematical level but not quite on a philosophical or zen level. Perhaps someof you would share your thoughts on this. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry to disappoint but I don’t think there is any zen hiding here. It is just an artifact of your unit system. If you measure energy and mass in different units then you need a conversion factor with dimensions of speed squared. The speed of light is the only universal speed. So it has to be some multiple of ##c^2##

Thank you for responding. I just wonder why speed is related to mass/energy.

jnorman34 said:
I just wonder why speed is related to mass/energy.

It isn't. As @Dale said, it is just that our "conventional" system of units has the units of energy being the units of mass times speed squared. So if you want a conversion factor between mass and energy in these units, it has to be the square of some invariant speed, and there is only one invariant speed, ##c##.

However, there is no requirement to use different units for mass and energy, and in fact many areas of physics use "natural" units in which the units of energy and mass are the same. These units are often described as units in which ##c = 1##, but a better description would be that they are units in which "speed" has no dimensions.

jnorman34 said:
It is speed squared. By definition kinetic energy is ##\frac{1}{2} mv^2## so energy has units of mass times speed squared. So any conversion factor between mass and energy must be a speed squared.

jnorman34 said:
when mass is converted to "energy" what that really means is that it is converted to radiation. Radiation moves at c and energy is proportional to velocity. However, when something is moving twice as fast, its energy is not twice as much it is 4 times as much. Thus it has to be c^2. And, of course, that also makes the units work out properly in the system of units you have chosen

EDIT: Ah, I see Dale beat me to it. He does that, dammit ! :smile:

Likes Dale
phinds said:
Radiation moves at c and energy is proportional to velocity.

Sorry, but this is not valid reasoning. The energy of light, or any other radiation, is not proportional to its velocity, because it moves at the same velocity regardless of its energy.

phinds said:
I see Dale beat me to it.

@Dale did not "beat" you to anything, strictly speaking, since his reasoning is valid but yours is unfortunately not (see above).

Likes phinds
Thank you, gentlemen - that has been helpful.

PeterDonis said:
Sorry, but this is not valid reasoning. The energy of light, or any other radiation, is not proportional to its velocity, because it moves at the same velocity regardless of its energy.
@Dale did not "beat" you to anything, strictly speaking, since his reasoning is valid but yours is unfortunately not (see above).
egg_small.jpg

• Haha
Likes jnorman34

1. What is the relationship between energy, mass, and light?

The relationship between energy, mass, and light is described by the famous equation E=mc^2, where E is energy, m is mass, and c is the speed of light. This equation shows that mass and energy are interchangeable, and that light is a form of energy.

2. How does mass affect the behavior of light?

Mass does not directly affect the behavior of light. However, mass can affect the path of light through the bending of space-time due to gravity, as predicted by Einstein's theory of general relativity.

3. Can mass be converted into light?

Yes, mass can be converted into light through the process of nuclear fusion, where the nuclei of atoms combine to form a larger nucleus and release energy in the form of light. This process is what powers the sun and other stars.

4. How is light related to the electromagnetic spectrum?

Light is just one form of electromagnetic radiation, which includes radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, visible light, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays. These different forms of electromagnetic radiation have different wavelengths and energies, with visible light falling in the middle of the spectrum.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding the relationship between energy, mass, and light?

Understanding the relationship between energy, mass, and light has led to many important technological advancements, such as nuclear power and medical imaging techniques like X-rays and MRI. It also helps us understand the fundamental workings of the universe, from the formation of stars to the behavior of black holes.