1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relationship between pressure and volume

1. May 12, 2006 #1
    Two different isothermal curves representing the relationship between pressure and volume at a given temperature of the same ideal gas are shown for masses M1 and M2 of the gas respectively in the following figure, then which is greater M1 or M2?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

a) Please show your work first.

b) I can't see the attachment, but here's a hint : what does the Ideal Gas Law state? How does this bear on your problem?
  4. May 14, 2006 #3
    I solved it the following way:
    From the figure T1>T2. But according to ideal gas law, Temperature is inversely proportional to mass of gas. Therefore M1<M2.Is it right?
  5. May 14, 2006 #4
    But the question states that the ideal gas is at a given temperature. Doesn't this mean that T1=T2?
  6. May 14, 2006 #5
    The ideal gas equation says
    [tex]PV = nRT[/tex]
    The number of moles of the gas is given by (m = mass of gas, M = molar mass)
    [tex]n = \frac{m}{M}[/tex]
    [tex]PV = \frac{m}{M}RT[/tex]
    Solving for m, the mass of the gas
    [tex]m = \frac{PV}{RT}M[/tex]

If you draw a vertical line (parallel to the P-axis) it cuts the two curves at pressures [itex]P_{2}[/itex] and [itex]P_{1}[/itex]. Clearly [itex]P_{2} > P_{1}[/itex]. Also [itex]T_{2} > T_{1}[/itex] (can you see why???). I think I have said more than enough.

Amit, it is not correct to say that the temperature is inversely or directly proportional to the mass of the gas unless pressure and volume are constant. As you can see here, pressure and temperature are different for the two gases.
  7. May 14, 2006 #6
    Do you know what an isotherm is?
  8. May 14, 2006 #7

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would agree with Pizzasky's interpretation of the problem. The two graphs are the isotherms for two different quantities of the same gas for the same temperature. Since PV (the area of the rectangle with corners on the origin and on the curve) is greater for M2, this means that n2RT > n1RT so M2>M1.

9. May 14, 2006 #8
    If you say that the temperatures are equal, then you and Pizzasky are correct. It seems that the wording suggests so. Fine.
  10. May 14, 2006 #9

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree with AM and Pizza. If the number of moles of the gas is unknown, you can't say that the outer isotherm corresponds to a higher temperature. An isotherm that is farther from the origin can also be generated at the same temperature by increasing the number of moles in the sample.

In this case, if you allow the number of moles (through the total mass) and the temperature to float, you can't make any meaningful comparison. One of the two must be fixed, and that would be the temperature.

Edit : I wrote this before I saw your last post.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?