What Causes Undefined Derivatives in Trigonometric Functions?

In summary, the problem is to find the relative extrema of abs(sin 2x) on the interval 0 < x < 2pi. The correct derivative is 2 cos 2x for x > 0 and -2 cos 2x for x < 0. However, the solution states that f ' (x) does not exist at x = pi/2, x = pi, and x = (3pi)/2. This is because the sign of sin(x) is important, not the sign of x, due to the absolute value signs. By graphing |sin(2x)|, the reason for the non-existence of the derivative at these points becomes clear.
Nick_OCD
Hello All,

My problem is to find the relative extrema of abs(sin 2x); 0< x < 2pi.

I got the derivative right, I think: 2 cos 2x if x > 0, and -2 cos 2x if x < 0.

However, the solution says that f ' (x) does not exist at x = pi/2, x = pi, and x = (3pi)/2.

Glancing at my trigonometry charts, I see that sin and cos are never undefined,

so why does 2 cos 2x or -2 cos 2x not exist at pi/2, pi, or 3pi/2?

Thanks,

Nick

Physics news on Phys.org
Nick_OCD said:
Hello All,

My problem is to find the relative extrema of abs(sin 2x); 0< x < 2pi.

I got the derivative right, I think: 2 cos 2x if x > 0, and -2 cos 2x if x < 0.

But your interval only includes x > 0. And it isn't the sign of x that is important, it is the sign of sin(x) because of the absolute value signs.

However, the solution says that f ' (x) does not exist at x = pi/2, x = pi, and x = (3pi)/2.

Glancing at my trigonometry charts, I see that sin and cos are never undefined,

so why does 2 cos 2x or -2 cos 2x not exist at pi/2, pi, or 3pi/2?

Thanks,

Nick

Draw the graph of |sin(2x)| and you will answer your own questions.

Thank you. I had a brain freeze on that one.

What is a relative extremum?

A relative extremum is a point on a function where the value is either a local maximum or a local minimum. It is considered "relative" because it is only compared to the values of the function in the immediate vicinity, rather than the entire function.

How is a relative extremum different from an absolute extremum?

Absolute extrema are the highest or lowest points of a function over its entire domain, while relative extrema are only the highest or lowest points within a specific interval or range.

What is the difference between a local maximum and a local minimum?

A local maximum is the highest point on a function within a specific interval, while a local minimum is the lowest point on a function within a specific interval.

How do you find relative extrema on a graph?

To find relative extrema on a graph, you can look for points where the slope of the function changes from positive to negative or vice versa. These points will be the local maximum or minimum, respectively.

Can a function have more than one relative extremum?

Yes, a function can have multiple relative extrema. These can occur at different points on the function's graph where the slope changes from positive to negative or vice versa.