Integrating Trigonometric Functions with Powers and Substitution

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve the integral $\int_{0}^{\pi/2}\cos^3\left({x}\right)\sin\left({2x}\right) \,dx$ by using the substitution $u=\cos\left({x}\right)$ and how the limits of the integral change after the substitution. The final answer is $\frac{2}{5}$.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
$\large{S6.7.R.27}$
$$\displaystyle
I=\int_{0}^{\pi/2}\cos^3\left({x}\right)\sin\left({2x}\right) \,dx = \frac{2}{5}$$
since $\sin\left({2x}\right)=2\sin\left({x}\right)\cos\left({x}\right) $ then..
$$I=2\int_{0}^{\pi/2}\cos^4\left({x}\right)\sin\left({x}\right)\, dx \\
\begin{align}
u&=\cos\left({x}\right) &du=-\sin\left({x}\right) \, dx
\end{align}$$
then
$$\displaystyle
I=\int_{0}^{\pi/2}{u}^{4} \, du$$

I continued but didn't get the answer for some reason

Physics news on Phys.org
When you do a substitution, what happen to the limits of the integral?

$\large{S6.7.R.27}$
$$\displaystyle
I=\int_{0}^{\pi/2}\cos^3\left({x}\right)\sin\left({2x}\right) \,dx = \frac{2}{5}$$
since $\sin\left({2x}\right)=2\sin\left({x}\right)\cos\left({x}\right) $ then..
$$I=-2\int_{0}^{\pi/2}\cos^4\left({x}\right)\sin\left({x}\right)\, dx \\
\begin{align}
u&=\cos\left({x}\right) &du&=-\sin\left({x}\right) \, dx \\
0&=\cos\left({\frac{\pi}{2}}\right) &1 &=\cos\left({0}\right)
\end{align}$$
then
$$\displaystyle
I=2\int_{0}^{1} {u}^{4} \, du
=2\left| \frac{{u}^{5}}{5} \right|_{0}^1$$

Last edited:
$\cos(0)=1$, so you've got

$$-2\int_1^0u^4\,du=2\int_0^1u^4\,du$$

Related to Integrating Trigonometric Functions with Powers and Substitution

1. What is the purpose of solving a trigonometric integral?

The purpose of solving a trigonometric integral is to find the area under a curve that involves trigonometric functions. This is useful in many applications, such as calculating work done in physics or finding the probability of certain events in statistics.

2. How do you solve a trigonometric integral?

To solve a trigonometric integral, you can use various integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities. It is important to carefully choose the appropriate technique based on the form of the integral.

3. What is the difference between a definite and an indefinite trigonometric integral?

A definite trigonometric integral has specific limits of integration, which means the result will be a numerical value. An indefinite trigonometric integral does not have limits of integration, and the result will be a function with an arbitrary constant added.

4. Are there any common mistakes when solving a trigonometric integral?

Yes, some common mistakes when solving a trigonometric integral include forgetting to use the chain rule, making mistakes with trigonometric identities, and misinterpreting the limits of integration. It is important to double-check your work and be familiar with the various trigonometric identities before solving an integral.

5. Can a trigonometric integral have multiple solutions?

Yes, a trigonometric integral can have multiple solutions due to the periodic nature of trigonometric functions. It is important to consider all possible solutions and choose the most appropriate one based on the given problem or context.