Relative speed when someone runs on the treadmill

In summary, the conversation is about using VR technology to assist people with spinal cord injuries in walking on a treadmill while wearing an oculus. The participants have a question about relative speed and how it affects the VR software view. They discuss various scenarios, including what happens when the person and the treadmill are moving in the same direction, and use examples such as a moving walkway in an airport to understand the concept of relative speed. However, the relevance of this discussion to the original question is questioned.
canucks
We are using VR technology for people with spinal cord injury ( incomplete so they can walk with assistance) for a study. They will be walking on a treadmill wearing an oculus. We have a question regarding relative speed since we are updating the software view based on that
if person A runs at 5 m/s , treadmill runs at 7 m/s , opposite direction of the person . If person B is watching, at what speed do they appear..aka what's the relative speed? what if treadmill and peron run in the same direction as person A . What speed does person B see him?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm confused: how can the running and treadmill speeds be different? A diagram might help...

Likes davenn
...moving to general physics.

russ_watters said:
I'm confused: how can the running and treadmill speeds be different? A diagram might help...
Imagine if you running really fast on the treadmill or grabbing on the parallel bar and walking slowly.

Assuming that speeds involved are much smaller than the speed of light in vacuum, they just add normally.

russ_watters said:
The person could change position relative to the treadmill? Of course, this would eventually lead to the person falling off the treadmill...

Likes russ_watters
canucks said:
Imagine if you running really fast on the treadmill or grabbing on the parallel bar and walking slowly.
This doesn't help. If my speed and the treadmill speed don't match, don't I fall off?

We are using Lokomat treadmill so he is wearing a harness and won't fall. Are we adding or deducting the speeds if they move on the same direction?

Orodruin said:
The person could change position relative to the treadmill? Of course, this would eventually lead to the person falling off the treadmill...
Yes, though I don't think I'd use the word "eventually" to describe a half second...

russ_watters said:
Yes, though I don't think I'd use the word "eventually" to describe a half second...
Depends on the size of the treadmill ;)

Likes russ_watters
canucks said:
We are using Lokomat treadmill so he is wearing a harness and won't fall. Are we adding or deducting the speeds if they move on the same direction?
Sorry, I can't help you until you fully describe the scenario. A diagram is highly recommended.

Orodruin said:
Depends on the size of the treadmill ;)
Agreed.

canucks said:
Think about it this way - if you are walking on one of those travellator moving walkways, you do it to go faster, right? Does the belt move towards your destination or away from it?

canucks said:

If someone is on a moving walkway at the airport and that is going at, say, 2m/s. And you watch them, then they are going at 2m/s relative to you.

If they start to walk at 1m/s relative to the walkway then you see them move at 3m/s.

If they walk at 1m/s "the wrong way" on the walkway, then you see them move at 1m/s.

Isn't that all rather obvious?

Likes davenn and russ_watters
I think it is not so relevant to the OPs question though. It seems the speed of the person relative to the ground is fixed by a harness so the treadmill speed needs to be exactly opposite to the treadmill speed or the person will likely get injured.

Likes russ_watters
Orodruin said:
treadmill speed needs to be exactly opposite to the treadmill speed
That is often accomplished with poured concrete. :-)

Likes russ_watters
jbriggs444 said:
That is often accomplished with poured concrete. :-)
Oops. Meant to have one of those as the walking speed ...

canucks said:
We are using VR technology for people with spinal cord injury ( incomplete so they can walk with assistance) for a study. They will be walking on a treadmill wearing an oculus. We have a question regarding relative speed since we are updating the software view based on that
if person A runs at 5 m/s , treadmill runs at 7 m/s , opposite direction of the person . If person B is watching, at what speed do they appear..aka what's the relative speed? what if treadmill and peron run in the same direction as person A . What speed does person B see him?

Why are you updating the VR view based on what some person B sees, and not on what A would see running at 5 m/s?

Likes jbriggs444
canucks said:
if person A runs at 5 m/s , treadmill runs at 7 m/s , opposite direction of the person . If person B is watching, at what speed do they appear..aka what's the relative speed?

So person A runs at 5 m/s relative to the treadmill belt.
Treadmill runs at 7 m/s relative to the ground the treadmill machine is standing on.

If person B is standing on the ground then it appear to him that Person A is moving backwards at 2m/s.

If the treadmill machine is say 2m long he will fall off the back of the treadmill in 1 second unless he runs faster.

If he is lightly suspended in a harness that attempts to fix his position relative to the ground his feet will be swept out from under him unless he runs faster (eg at the same speed as the belt).

I believe you need to match the speed of the belt to the runner and show the VR at the same speed.

1. How does running on a treadmill affect relative speed?

When someone runs on a treadmill, their relative speed is affected by the speed of the treadmill belt and their own running speed. The faster the treadmill belt moves, the higher their relative speed will be, even if they are running at the same pace as someone on the ground.

2. Is relative speed different when running on a treadmill compared to running on the ground?

Yes, relative speed is different when running on a treadmill compared to running on the ground. This is because the treadmill belt is moving and providing additional speed, whereas running on the ground relies solely on the runner's own speed.

3. Does the incline of the treadmill affect relative speed?

Yes, the incline of the treadmill can affect relative speed. When the treadmill is inclined, the runner must work against gravity and therefore their relative speed may decrease, even if they are running at the same pace as someone on the ground.

4. How does a runner's weight impact relative speed on a treadmill?

A runner's weight does not directly impact relative speed on a treadmill. However, a heavier runner may have a harder time keeping up with the speed of the treadmill belt, resulting in a lower relative speed compared to a lighter runner.

5. Can a runner's shoes affect their relative speed on a treadmill?

Yes, a runner's shoes can affect their relative speed on a treadmill. Running shoes with good traction can help a runner maintain their pace on the treadmill belt, resulting in a higher relative speed. On the other hand, shoes with poor traction may cause the runner to slip and decrease their relative speed.