Calculating Relative Velocity for Walking on a Treadmill

In summary, you exercise by walking for 15 minutes on a treadmill that has a level track that moves at a velocity of -4km/h. Your velocity relative to the treadmill is +4km/h, and your displacement relative to the treadmill is +1 km when you finish exercising.
Jacobpm64
You exercise by walking for 15 minutes on a treadmill that has a level track that moves at a velocity of -4km/h.

What is your velocity relative to the treadmill?

What is your velocity relative to the floor?

What is your total displacement relative to the treadmill when you finish exercising?

What is your total displacement relative to the floor when you finish exercising?

Physics news on Phys.org
At least make some guesses of your own. Can you show us that you have put some thought into the problem?

i can try..

What is your velocity relative to the treadmill?
I think this one would be +4km/h. Hard for me to explain why i think this, but I'll try. Uhmm the treadmill is moving backwards.. and you have to run forwards at the same speed as the treadmill so that you won't fly off the treadmill in either direction (run too slow.. and you fall off the back end.. run too fast and you fall off the front).. So, if you run at the same speed as the treadmill, but in an opposite direction, you will end up staying in one place (which is the object of the treadmill)... So, your velocity relative to the treadmill would be +4km/h? I don't know.. but that's what i think

What is your velocity relative to the floor?
Since you aren't actually moving anywhere, the velocity relative to the floor is 0km/h? I think..

What is your total displacement relative to the treadmill when you finish exercising?
Because I said the velocity that i move relative to the treadmill is +4 km/h, then to find the displacement, I can solve for displacement in the velocity formula (v = d/t), to get d = vt. Plugging in the numbers, I get 15 min x 4km/h.. convert hours to minutes... 15min x 1/15 km/min = +1 km
So, my answer is +1 km.

What is your total displacement relative to the floor when you finish exercising?
Same approach, using the answer from the 2nd question this time... d = vt... So, plugging in numbers, 15min x 0km/min = 0km
So, my answer is 0km.

Are these right? Or? Because, I do feel confused.

1. What is relative velocity of walking?

The relative velocity of walking is the speed and direction at which a person is walking relative to another object or person. It takes into account both the speed and direction of the person's movement and the movement of the other object or person.

2. How is relative velocity of walking calculated?

The relative velocity of walking is calculated by finding the difference between the velocities of the two objects or people. This can be done by subtracting the velocity of the other object or person from the velocity of the person walking.

3. How does relative velocity of walking affect collisions?

Relative velocity of walking plays a crucial role in collisions between two walking individuals or between a walking person and an object. The relative velocity determines the impact and force of the collision, and can also determine the direction of movement after the collision.

4. Does the surface or terrain affect relative velocity of walking?

Yes, the surface or terrain can affect the relative velocity of walking. For example, walking on a flat, smooth surface will result in a different relative velocity compared to walking on an uneven or slippery surface. This is because the surface can impact the speed and direction of the person's movement.

5. Can relative velocity of walking change over time?

Yes, the relative velocity of walking can change over time. This can happen if one or both of the objects or people involved change their speed or direction of movement. It can also change if the surface or terrain changes, or if there are any external forces acting on the objects or people.